Cupcake pmps 330 dosing advice needed

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cupcake, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Well, he ate, but not as much as I expected. He's 330 now. (Can't believe he rose so fast!!! Is it possible? :? ) I guess there is no need to reduce his dose, huh? One thing You should know - we are treating Cupcake with antibiotics now.

Holding a syringe in my hand...

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Yes sometimes they will shoot up once they start up. And you are correct you are safe to shoot his normal dose...looks like he is just a late nadir kitty :)

While he is on antibiotics you are going to want to watch him fairly close because once it starts clearing the infection his BGs may come down quickly and you will want to be ready to reduce his dose if that dose happen.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

3. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Mel,
    Don't you think there is the possibility of somoygi here? The way that number shot up on little food could be a sugar dump.
    Dana

4. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

MommaOfMuse, You are my guardian angel tonigh, hugs!!!
    Danute, let's hope it's not a rebound, I'll check him before going to sleep. Thank You, girls!!! :*

5. MommaOfMuse

You're are welcome Sweetie give the cute little guy a couple kisses and ear scritches for me. :)

6. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

I'm melting reading such the words :) You all are so friendly and helpful! I hope I could help someone one day too!
    Cupcake is purrrring back to You, MommaOfMuse (I would gladly call You by Your name, but I do not know it) :) Is it Mel? Like Danute called You?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There isn't any good evidence that Somogyi happens in cats. If it did, then Dusty would have been super high after the 2 weeks on too much insulin because his owner couldn't home test. Instead, he just ate like a fiend.

Food will cause a spike.

The liver dumping glycogen out if the glucose level is too low or drops too fast will happen, too. That's a bounce, not Somogyi.

8. MommaOfMuse

Yes Ruta my name is Mel which is actually short for Melody...Maxwell and Autumn are my two diabetic cats and the Fur Gang is for my 12 other cats and one large dog...lol

9. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Oh Dear, Mel,
    so You have 14 cats and one dog, right? This is amazing team, I guess! :D

10. MommaOfMuse

Yep 14 kitties 1 dog and 1 husband..all rescues well except the husband. lol The current total is two diabetics, 1 deaf cat, and 1 cat with epilepsy, and two cats with cardiac problems and the rest with their own emotional problems from prior abuse and neglect.

Thankfully I'm married to a man that is as animal crazy as I am..in fact we are looking into buying a larger place in the country when he retires so we can start a boarding facility and sanctuary for special needs and elderly animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.