Currently terrified

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AlphaCat, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

No action needed, I just need a place to cry, to vent, and this is about a civvie cat issue, so I think this is the right place for this post - if not, please let me know where it should go.

About 2 weeks ago, Seamus the beautiful jerk came down with something where he didn't eat all day and was not behaving like himself. We got him through the night and took him to the vet (twice actually). The vet couldn't find anything wrong, and at the vet he seemed to appear to feel better. He had begun eating and drinking again. The vet sent me home with pain meds in case an internal organ was causing him grief and he just needed it to stop spasming (or whatever) to give his body time to get back to normal. He is back to normal, well minus a little fur. We did shave him into a lion, due to both mats and potential heat concerns. But my beatutiful jerk is back to normal.

But now... now, my oldest cat. My civvie, Runswith, has come down with something. She has had a couple days of throwing up. She threw up the first day, a giant hairball. Then I noticed she wasn't really eating, but she was drinking. So I put her in with Fabby to better watch her. I was able to get her interested in eating Fabby's salmon treats. Eventually throughout the day she began eating a little bit of Fabby's low carb food. About 24 hours later she puked it all up in the middle of the night. The throw up just seemed to be food and mucus. So I didn't push her to eat as long as she was drinking water.
    Yesterday, I tried to get her interested in food with no luck. She ate one morsel of her own dry blue buffalo food, and one bite of Salmon treat. Now if I put food or water in front of her she gets up and goes to lay down somewhere else.

She sleeps with her eyes open. She's old. She's not taking in food or water anymore. I'm terrified my little immortal kitty is making her last stand. (I call her immortal because she's old, and because she's had radioactive iodine therapy to kill off her thyroid - successfully.) So I check to see if she's alive several times a day because I can't always see her breathing. 2 decades of my life with this cat. I'm not ready.

If she has whatever Seamus had, they couldn't figure out what it was with him, why would they figure it out with her? Plus, on a holiday weekend I'm looking at a high interest loan just to have them tell me they don't know, and for them to push fluids. So currently I'm getting water in her via syringe. I'm doing 3ml every 2 hours. She hasn't thrown it up so far. Should I be pushing more? My spouse is going to pick up some pedialyte to help.

If I get her to make it until Monday I will take her to the vet. (If they are even going to open on Monday... I think so, but with it being a holiday, IDK.)

I am trying really hard to live by the mantra, don't mourn those that are not dead, but when she sleeps with her eyes open, the fear just takes over. I'm not ready. I need a couple more years. Please.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Putting your worries about her age, etc. aside, when I've had a kitty getting sick and not wanting food, my vet would start with the simple advice to withhold food for 12 hours. Keep water available. I suppose you could syringe water in but maybe not too much or too often. This doesn't exactly fit with your timeline but there it is. It's possible that the giant hairball has irritated her stomach or wasn't the only one. There might be another percolating in there.

I had a cat years ago who went totally off her food because of steroids that had disrupted her hair shedding cycles. When she went off the steroid, she shed a lot, some of that fur irritated her tummy (not even actual fur balls) and she stopped eating. There's more to that story but I'll end it there ...

AlphaCat likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Runswith is not feeling well :bighug::bighug::bighug:. It sounds like something else is in her tummy and making her nauseas. Maybe another hairball? When was the last time she ate something and how much?

AlphaCat likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sooo sorry you are having more sick kitty problems. You need these..... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

My old guy can have a couple of days of feeling/looking like crap, eating very little if at all but drinking copious amounts of water and then projectile vomiting every so often as a pre-cursor to hairball delivery. It's possible that Runswith has more hair that needs to be evacuated but it's really important that a cat not go without eating for more than 48 hours or you risk liver problems that can be life threatening and very expensive to treat. Is she licking her lips at all? That can be an indicator of nausea. I'd check her for dehydration by pulling up the scruff and watching for the skin to return to normal position. It should go back almost immediately and if it takes a second or two, she needs more fluids. I'd ply her with anything she normally likes to eat like the juice off tuna or salmon mixed in water if she is needs fluids and is refusing to drink on her own.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If she hasn't eaten for 18 hours and is still won't, I would syringe in some food just a little at a time so that she doesn't puke it. offer her anything you think she might like... tuna, parmesian cheese, deli meats... It's so so hard when they get old...

You don't have any poisonous house plants do you?

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Will she eat out of your (raised) hand? You could try raising the food and water bowls about 4-6 inches. If something is bothering her innards, she might appreciate not having to lower her head to eat and drink.

I had a cat that slept with her eyes open. It was freaky.

7. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Wednesday was the last day she had anything substantial. That was the last time she threw up as well (overnight, into Thursday morning). Thursday she ate one morsel of her dry food and one small piece of Salmon treat (the treat is the size of a quarter, and she only had 1/10th of that). Friday I let her be and allowed her to fast because she was previously drinking water fine. Friday evening I noticed she was no longer drinking water. She won't eat anything presented to her anymore. I've tried her food, Fabby's wet food, Salmon treats, tuna treats, actual tuna, tuna juice. The last bit of anything she tried on her own was a sip of tuna juice yesterday evening. Now she won't even take the tuna juice. Her gums are light pink/whiteish and dry. Her scruff doesn't drop immediately and stays scruffed longer than I would like. This was why I began syringe feeding water.

Her giant hairball was Monday night Tuesday morning. I don't think there's anything else in there due to the food eating and purging on Wednesday. She had eaten fairly well all day (smaller than usual portions) and every bit of it came back up within those 24 hours. All mushy food no traces of hairball.

8. Kris & Teasel

Sounds like she's dehydrated too. Have you tried pureeing some food with water and syringe feeding it? Maybe some all meat/broth baby food? She might not enjoy the force feeding but you have to do what's necessary. :(

AlphaCat likes this.
  9. Yong & Maury GA

You might want to try and syringe feed her something like Janet suggested. Maybe mix some of the pedialyte (just making sure it's the clear, no flavour one) with some wet food.

AlphaCat likes this.
  10. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

That is next on my list. I just got some pedialyte in her. So I'm waiting just a bit to make sure she keeps it down.
    She also just jumped off the couch with me and headed towards the water dish, so I let her... but she didn't go for the water. She snuck behind the entertainment center and laid down in the corner hiding. I pushed her out of there and she ran behind the couch to hide. Little girl... I don't need this today at the height of today's heat...
    I missed a couple questions above, so here goes:
    I do need those Linda, thank you. When she's presented with any food or water she sometimes licks her lips. Mostly she moves away, which does look like nausea to me. When I tried to get her to drink this morning she was licking her lips over the water, but not drinking water. I was hoping by syringing water she would see her tummy could handle it and want to at least begin drinking water again. However, that hasn't happened yet, and with the increased dehydration we've moved to pedialyte. So far she's at least kept all of that down. Hopefully it will remain so.

Lol. No plants at all. We've tried plants over the years, they either become litter boxes, or chew toys... one of my crystals boys was thought to have allergies way early on before even his crystals diagnosis. So we got rid of everything that was a recent change in the house. That included our last attempt at any house plants. Any cut flowers we receive go in a vase on our porch so I can at least admire them when I take the dog for a walk. Even the fake ones some of my clowder try to eat... I always tell people, I don't have plants, I have cats. Perhaps when we welcome more (too many years away from now, please oh please) I should start naming them the names of plants, lol.

Did I miss any others?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Reason for edit: typos
  11. Kris & Teasel

Whatever she keeps down is bonus. Might be worth a trip to the store to get some of that baby food.

AlphaCat likes this.
  12. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Found another one I missed.
    No, she's never been a hand feeder. She will make me put it down before she eats it (even when she was healthy.) Right now if food and now water too, is even offered she gets up and turns away. I think even smelling it is making her nauseous.

In a half an hour I will try syringing a little wet food with water and see if she's able to hold that down. However, the last time she ate she held down food for many hours before it all came back up.

13. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Her very favorite food in the whole world is KFC chicken. She can smell the 11 herbs and spices several rooms away and she'll come out (even when she was extra skittish before her thyroid diagnosis). If she holds down her cat food soup syringe perhaps we'll be having KFC tonight...

Thank you chatting with me, because it reminded me of this favorite of hers!

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

even if it comes back hours later, some of it will have been digested. Sounds like she's nautious... may need cerenia and fluids. Might be pancreatitis. You really want to avoid fatty liver though, so start getting that food in her any way you can.

AlphaCat likes this.
  15. Kris & Teasel

Many references on here about KFC enticing a kitty to eat.

AlphaCat likes this.
  16. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Back when we lived in Florida, we'd get Publix, they also have a good fried chicken. But that didn't bring all the kitties to the yard. There's something about KFC that just permeates their olfactory and sends them running towards it.
    Maybe I'll go search for the KFC threads to entertain me and relieve a bit of my worry at least for a minute.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  17. Kris & Teasel

It brings people running too! :smuggrin:;)

18. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for your girl Runswith, and (((hugs))) for you. Keep trying to get some food in her! Please keep us updated, we'll worry about her.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  19. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

So, I haven't syringe fed a cat before. I totally thought I'd just suck up my cat food soup and feed her. Lol that is not really the way it works. So it did suck up brown colored pedialyte with some tiny solid particles floating in there. Not really what I'd call food. But I gave it to her anyway. She was able to keep it down. So we're going for another attempt. We'll keep trying this a syringe of food flavored pedialyte and a syringe of straight pedialyte every 30 minutes and in a couple of hours we'll have KFC for dinner and see if that will entice her to take a bite on her own.

Thank you all for caring, for the hugs, and the chatting!

20. Squalliesmom

I can't stress enough the importance of her getting some reasonable amount of food on board; she is at serious risk for hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) which can become quickly fatal. Keep up the good work! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  21. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried some meat broth? I use that for my CKD and Jones. A couple teaspoons to help the tummy and full of nutrients that maybe lacking. I make my own, but very handy.

AlphaCat likes this.
  22. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

No. But I imagine that's close to my Pedialyte cat food mixture. (She's current getting Fabby's chicken & liver paté from Friskies.) I was able to get more food in the last syringe. Mushing and stirring it more than my usual cat food soup helped.

Weird question... I'm having my own nausea battle at the moment (my doc is aware, and I have human instructions...) But the first thing humans do when trying to eat with nausea is go for the carbs (crackers). The food I feed Fabby is low carb (obviously). Should I switch to higher carb cat food to help with the nausea?

23. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

The muscle weakness looks to be getting worse. Her back legs have been a little shaky today, but she just moved 6 inches to sniff the water dish I have got her and he front and buckled 2x. She caught herself both times just before her face hit the water. She licked her lips, but didn't actually drink. She laid down beside the dish after the second attempt.

24. Tracey&Jones (GA)

When was the last time she had blood work?

AlphaCat likes this.
  25. MrWorfMen's Mom

Under the circumstances, I'd feed Runswith anything her little heart desires. Higher carb food might help because the fat content would probably be lower and that can aggravate nausea.

AlphaCat likes this.
  26. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Try running the pate through the blender to make it smoother and easier to syringe.
    :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  27. Tracey&Jones (GA)

The crackers are because they are easy to digest (simple carb), they are salted to help with hydration if vomiting and they are dry - so absorb excess acid. Which I think the freeze dried treats is the equivalant for cats. Agree with Linda - give her anything she will eat. Boiled chicken breast chunks also work in my house.

AlphaCat likes this.
  28. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Not since we got the post thyroid issue all clear. So it's been about 3 years maybe 4 now.

29. Tracey&Jones (GA)

How is she feeling now?

30. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

She wouldn't eat the KFC. Turned her had away every time it was offered. She's still taking the syringe food okay. Switching over to non-low carb wet.
    We took her outside around sunset to see if maybe she'd eat grass. Nope. She was only interested in hiding. She did lay in the grass and looked more alive than she has in days as she looked around.
    I'll take it. I haven't seen an interest to live in a long time, my hope's been dwindling. So this was nice.

31. Yong & Maury GA

More hugs before signing off :bighug::bighug::bighug:. Hope you can get some more food in her :cat:

AlphaCat likes this.
  32. Squalliesmom

If she's showing that much weakness and lack of interest I would take her to the vet. She may not have what your other cat had - she could have pancreatitis or something very treatable. Because of her age and her lack of much food lately, I'd take her sooner rather than later. Please keep us posted.

Sending more prayers and healing vines.
    healing.jpeg
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat and Kris & Teasel like this.
  33. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I would love to but being the weekend, I've got to get her to Monday. I have never shown up at an ER vet for less than a grand, and I just can't. I just need her to hold on until Monday and we will be at their doers when they open.

Kris & Teasel and Squalliesmom like this.
  34. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Well no bueno.
    2am est and she puked.
    Her last syringe feeding she was more obstinate than she has been before. But I was just as stubborn. She's has a little over a tablespoon of food since 5 pm and a fair amount of water/pedialyte.
    She only puked up 2 dime sized spots, so not even the last full syringe. So some has stayed down at least.
    She's currently hiding under Fabby's cooling bed in the corner of the room. I don't hear anymore throwing up going on though. I'm going to give her a few minutes before I drag her back to bed.
    Ugh... I was so hoping everything would stay down and that she'd have her appetite back by morning... :(

35. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Is she going to the bathroom? Peeing and pooping? Could she be constipated on top of it all?

36. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

She was going normally until she stopped with the water today. This afternoon she went to the litter box but didn't let anything out. I figured it was likely due to dehydration. Poor thing's a mess.

StephG likes this.
  37. MrWorfMen's Mom

I wonder if those dime size spit ups were because of an acid stomach. I wonder if an antacid famitodine would help at all. I've never used it so can't help with dose off hand but I know others here have used it. @Squalliesmom any thoughts about trying a bit of famitodine? If so do you know the dose? I've never used it myself.

AlphaCat likes this.
  38. Yong & Maury GA

I just tried it last week for Maury. Was told to get 10mg normal strength tablets (guessing they make an extra strength one) and to give 1/4 tablet, so 2.5mg. If Runswith does not do well with pills, cut that 1/4 tablet piece even smaller. Not sure if you can crush it :bookworm:. It's big even for a 1/4 tablet, Maury did not enjoy it so I have not given it to him again. Should he really need it in the future, I'll be dicing that 1/4 tablet into fours!

MrWorfMen's Mom and AlphaCat like this.
  39. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

This morning she looks a little more hydrated than she did all of yesterday. She's still refusing all food. I gave her a 3ml syringe of pedialyte at 6am, and I'll give another in a few moments. If she holds these down we might try a syringe of the food pedialyte mix. (It's still Fabby's food bc the civvie wet food I had didn't look good when I opened it. If we can get out of the house today we'll get her something higher carb.)
    Just a few moments ago I got up to Fabby grooming Runswith. It was precious.
    Hang in there Runswith, one more day...
    20170702_093306.jpg

40. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

After her last syringe of pedialyte, she wobbled to the water bowl and actually drank water. First time in days!!!
    I'm so scared to try to syringe give her food. I don't want to derail this progress.
    There's progress!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Reason for edit: Typo
  41. MrWorfMen's Mom

All fingers and paws crossed here that this is a sign of improvement and Runswith will decide to take a bit of food on her own very soon! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  42. Squalliesmom

That's great! I hope she continues to improve. I love the picture, so sweet, and I love her name, too!
    She may have, or may develop, a bad association with that particular food so I'd suggest getting several different styles/flavors.

@MrWorfMen's Mom Linda, I have never used the famotidine myself but my understanding is the usual dose in cats is 0.22 mg per pound, every 12 to 24 hours, so yes, as Yong said, about 1/4 of a 10 mg pill. I read somewhere that it should be used "with caution" in cats with heart, liver, or kidney disease.

43. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Famotidine is Pepcid, I think, and when I gave it to Radar a few times, it was very obvious that it tastes perfectly awful....especially when crushed. The only way to get it into Radar was to put tiny pieces in a small gel capsule for delivery to the tummy. I hope your kitty continues to improve.

AlphaCat likes this.
  44. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Thanks!
    I'm going to hold off on the Pepcid until we see the vet tomorrow (provided they will see us) as I'm now on an hourly countdown. I've only got to get her through 15 hours... when I just checked on her (I talk to my cats) I said "How you doin', little girl?" And she picked her head up an meowed at me, twice. So we're looking so much better than the last couple of days. I think we can do this. At least the scaredy tears have stopped and been replaced with hope.

Thank you all!

45. Yong & Maury GA

I think it would be more odd if you said you didn't talk to them :D

Dyana, AlphaCat and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  46. Kris & Teasel

I have lengthy conversations with my three all the time! :smuggrin:

AlphaCat and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  47. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Crappy setback... my vet just posted they will be closed on Monday. :(
    That means we have to keep maintaining through until Wednesday. I feel right back at the beginning of this post...

48. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your regular vet is closed. Are there more vets around that you can see if they are open?
    I would keep getting small amounts of food into her, like every 2 hours. Best Of Luck to Runswith and :bighug: to you.
    I'm glad she is drinking water and more hydrated today.

AlphaCat likes this.
  49. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Will do on the food!
    I can now see visibly her weight loss from the last week. She's a tiny girl to begin with.
    We are VERY rural. My experience with the vets around here is unless you are an established customer they will not see you same day. We have 3 vets total we've been to... Our preferred is closed. 2nd choice has no notice either way, so maybe? The 3rd choice I'm not sure I'd even be worth it, he charges er vet prices.
    So we will be at the doors of vet 2 tomorrow when they open. It's going to cost an arm and a leg, but I don't feel like we can make it to Wednesday.
    Her breathing appears to be increased.
    I'm seeing similarities of when my dog passed away 10 months ago. I'm not ready.

50. Yong & Maury GA

Definitely try to get more food and fluids in her. Have you looked at the Liver Shake? Hang in there, Runswith and Alphacat!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  51. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

HWright likes this.
  52. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I had not heard of this. However I won't be able to find spirulina or kelp powder. (I'm that rural). I can order it, but we should be at the vet before it arrives especially b/c of the holiday.
    If the vet gives us hope, and it will take time to fix I will come back to this recipe! Thank you for mentioning it!

53. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Wow. That's a lot more work than I have to go through. Runswith is so easy. Though I am envious of those giant syringes.
    Thank you for your help!

54. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

We have made it to Monday! Fabby is eating her food then we get ready to sit at the vet #2's door and hope they open them today. Please let them open, and see us, and not cost more than we have, and fix our old girl... They open in 2 hours. We can make it two more hours.

55. Kris & Teasel

If there's a tack shop for horsey people anywhere near you they will likely have giant syringes you can buy.

AlphaCat likes this.
  56. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

We made it to the vet, they are open, Runswith is back getting blood taken & an xray. Good news the legs intermittently functioning doesn't appear to be neurologic. Likely just weakness due to food issue...
    Bad news, xrays make this appointment expensive already.

57. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so glad the vet was open. Praying for more good news. Sorry about the expense.

AlphaCat likes this.
  58. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Cancer.
    The vet didn't want to tell us. (I go to a lot of human doctors, and it's hard to watch a doctor dance around bad news.)
    Xray showed stomach walls thickened & something wrong with the liver.
    There's an utrasound needle biopsy that would be the next step to determine which kind of cancer, but that has to be done at a specialist. And it could be the really bad kind where nothing could be done, or the slightly less bad kind where she would have to go through chemo at 20.
    Cost of today's visit - $515.00
    We just can't financially.
    There's no more... Today cut into the food budget.
    So we're bringing her home. She's got liver meds, prednisolone, sub q fluids, and an appetite helper.
    If we can get her eating, she'll be around longer with us. If she doesn't, then we will let her go peacefully.
    So many tears.
    I'm still not ready.

59. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got some meds for her and pray that you can get her eating. Big Hugs. Keep thinking positive and give her lots of love and anything she wants to eat. Fingers crossed the meds work for her.

AlphaCat likes this.
  60. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Is her liver affected because of her not eating?
    I can send you some feeding syringes (like in the video).

61. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

That's so very sweet of you to offer. I don't think she will make it that long though.

I did ask the same question of the doc. She said no. She said one of the liver numbers is so high its off their charts. Too high for the machine to even read the number because it doesn't go that high.
    The cancer is in the liver and stomach and that's the cause of her not eating, so the liver would have high numbers eating or not.
    (However, not eating will quicken her demise.)
    I have a little syringe, and it's doing what we need at the moment, but truly, thank you for the offer.

The vet did give us a can of food that's supposed to be better for cats with a bad liver. She only gave us one can. I don't know if she doesn't expect her to be around very long, or she's not sure Runswith will eat it, or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    Perhaps I should search in forums what's good to feed cats with bad livers... Maybe I should order some spirulina to do the liver shake? I think I'm at the numb point of this... I need to go on autopilot for a bit.

62. Kris & Teasel

I'm so sorry you got such bad news. I think keeping her as comfortable as possible and eating a little of anything she'll accept is the best you can do right now. Enjoy your time with her. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  63. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry this is happening to your baby. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  64. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Thank you for the sympathy.
    She's cuddled at my side, and I'm keeping my mind off of it by being on a board of cat people that care. Being here helps.
    Thank you, every last one of you!

We had 20 years together, more years than I could have ever hoped for.
    Here's a photo of her in the grass yesterday. You can't even tell she's sick really. (There's also a long winded bit about her... lol.)
    Runswith

65. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Enjoy your time together. Savour every minute.

AlphaCat likes this.
  66. Kris & Teasel

Lovely photo of her. :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  67. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you!! The diagnosis of cancer is indeed a hard reality to accept. Prayers for you and scritches for Seamus. Enjoy every moment you have and drink in all the memories to last you a lifetime. Every moment is precious. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  68. Yong & Maury GA

Very sorry about the news, Alphacat :bighug:. I lost my GA boy to cancer. We had 14 1/2 years together but it still is never long enough :bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  69. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I feel your words so very much, and feel very greedy and selfish today wanting more than my 20 years.
    I did find the courage to tell her she could let go if the pain was too much. That was hard. I had to say the words and mean them, for her. I owe that to her. She has given me so much comfort and love. 2 decades of love. My longest live with relationship. I'm not ready, but I will let her go, because I love her and don't want her to suffer.

She's looking a little better tonight, weirdly enough. It's likely the meds, and that's okay by me. I'll take all the days she wants to give me. I'm still syringe feeding, hoping the appetite stimulant kicks in to allow her as many days as she wants...

70. Waheeda

Waheeda Well-Known Member

Sorry about the news. Spend all the time you have with her and cherish every moment. I lost mine last month very suddenly. He was with us for 11 years. Out of the blue he had problem breathing and the next day his heart stopped. We were not ready at all! We were in shock at the clinic when the vet said he's gone. We still miss him so much but thankful for having had him in our lives.
    One of my cats had a slightly elevated reading for liver during the blood test 2 months ago. Gosh I hope it's nothing serious. I think I better go for a follow-up.

71. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I'm so sorry @Waheeda. The unexpected loss is so hard. One of my other cats liver tests came back abnormal when we had her spayed as a kitten. We had her on the special liver food for a month and then tests went back to normal. Definitely f/u since maybe your solution is as easy as a short term diet change...

72. Waheeda

The vet gave her supplement for a month and we were told to come back for another Chk but so many thgs happened the last mth that I put it aside. This vet can be such a pessimist. Every -ve result she'll thk its cos of cancer. but I'll bring her in this weekend. Hope this time everythg is ok.

AlphaCat likes this.
  73. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I will hope so too for y'all!

Waheeda likes this.
  74. MrWorfMen's Mom

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I'm so sorry to hear the news was not good. We are never ready to let them go no matter how long they are with us. Make more memories, spoil your beautiful little girl and enjoy every precious moment. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  75. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

This morning Runswith ate something voluntarily! Not much mind you, I wouldn't even go so far as she ate a whole treat. But she showed interest & licked stuff! And she purred outloud!
    These are things I didn't think I'd see again with her. Maybe this means the meds are starting to work and make her more comfortable?
    I scheduled a 2nd opinion with our #1 vet for next Monday. And now Runswith gets to go experience camping! (Fabby too, lol. This should be interesting!)
    Anyone been camping with their diabetic/sick cats before?
    No just me, lol. Crazy cat lady reporting for duty!

76. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Glad she has perked up a bit for you. It is nice when you can see your "kitty" again.

I am so sorry about the diagnosis. Kitties and droolers are never with us long enough and they take a piece of our hearts when they have to go. I firmly believe they don't need as long as us to figure life out.

I wish you lots of happy days with your friend. :bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  77. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would be worried about her stress level while camping. Is she microchipped? Has she been camping before? Does she like to be on a harness and leash?

AlphaCat and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  78. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

She has always been skittish. Oddly enough she gets happier when we make big changes. She likes when we move the furniture. When we moved 2 years ago she began coming downstairs to visit when we had company.
    She's not micro-chipped and didn't wear a harness or collar. But her legs are wobbly, so she's not going anywhere fast. I brought her in the carrier and opened it in the tent, and she's eaten on her own tonight, and now she's laying beside me purring out loud. The rain is falling all around us and we can hear the stream bubbling I've rocks from inside the tent. (If we leave the campsite, I'll bring her back home. It's only 3 miles away. We planned this trip prior to her becoming ill to give a 5 year old a real camping experience. Apparently, he will now think camping is with 2 cats and a dog, lol.)

79. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I could use a little help if any of my cat pals have some free time. I can't be on much due to having company and taking care of cats, but I will try to check in.
    Liver failure is presenting harder it looks like. I want to know how fast things move at this point. I know no one can tell me an expiration date, I just wonder if anyone has experienced this and how it went. Do I have hours, or days? Should I keep trying to syringe feed her, or am I causing her demise faster by trying to make her Liver work harder? Should I just leave her be an cuddle her?
    She was nibbling on her own little bits over the last two days. We came home from camping early due to rain, and now she's not eating again. She urinated at 7am this morning, and I gave her pedialyte at 7 am via syringe. I just syringe fed her 3mL of food and pedialyte mix.
    Her mouth, chin, ears, and gums are yellow. I know jaundice is liver failure, and we knew this was coming. But, is this an indicator of time, and what kind of care should I proceed with?
    I'm going to update the vet via phone call and see what they say, but if anyone has personal experience and can/would share... I'm trying really hard not to mourn her until after she's gone, but oh my goodness, this is getting harder.

80. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Alpha,
    My GA boy had cancer but I forget if it was him or the other cat that had liver cancer. Terrible that I forget what kind he had :( He was sick for a few months but he didn't stop eating / drinking / peeing / pooping until closer to his last week or two. Like the cancer was slow progressing and then went into overdrive. Similar for the other cat, actually. Last couple weeks he needed SubQ fluids and some meds. His last day and a half with me, he stopped eating and curled up with me. This is still difficult for me to remember. He never snuggled in my lap in his entire life. I can't go into much detail but I made him as comfortable as possible, told him how much I loved him and how great he was. He held on until Christmas Eve morning and waited for me to leave for work (I would be fired if I called out :(, that's another story though). Called best friend / roommate about an hour later to check on him. He had passed in his sleep on my bed.

I don't know if this helps you at all. Like I said, I can't go into more detail because I will start crying. I picked up Maury the day after Christmas :) I had hoped to introduce the two boys.

HWright, Waheeda and AlphaCat like this.
  81. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Thank you Yong for sharing what you did. I appreciate you bringing up something that's so tender and painful to help us. She was purring as we said goodbye to head to the vet to pick up the pred finally. I none of their people ate always around they may hang on longer. So we left her comfortable on our bed.
    Thank you again!

82. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

So, Runswith is still with us, and glowing yellow.
    Yesterday I called the vet. She was upset she had stopped eating again and wanted me to bring her in to put her to sleep. I asked if it was that time, how would I know? She doesn't appear to be in any additional pain. She was purring in fact. The vet said the sign is she stopped eating... well, that's why I brought her into the vet in the first place. Ugh... I did go in and pick up her pred from the vet. (Our local pharmacy said they could fill it, then the vet gave us someone else's script, then they faxed over the script, then the pharmacy didn't stock that... so after all that mess, we finally just went back to get it from the vet.)
    Last night I gave her the pred and then the appetite stimulant... well, she threw up so none of it actually helped. Today, I went much slower with the meds. She really hated the appetite stimulant and drooled and drooled for about an hour. I finally felt she wasn't going to jump down and toss up everything so I gave her a syringe of food. Finally the drooling stopped. Then she took 9 more mL of food soup. (She was licking the outside of the syringe, so I just kept giving her more.) About an hour later she ate from the food soup bowl all by herself. She hasn't done that in a few days. Thank you pred! She's also been to the water bowl several times by herself.
    We also had the first bowel activity I've seen in a week. It looked the same going out as it did going in... (sorry, too much info probably...)
    We sat in the sun a little bit this afternoon because it was so nice outside.
    We go to our preferred vet on Monday (also with Fabby) for a second opinion on Runswith on how to handle her care.
    So that's our update, and I swear it feels like a roller coaster.

83. MrWorfMen's Mom

Happy to hear Runswith kept her food down and showed some interest in eating and drinking on her own. It's not easy nursing a sick cat. Hoping this trend continues and you can enjoy more time with your little girl! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  84. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Runswith update:
    It's time.
    There's got to be some karma law that says all craziness with animals will happen on a weekend when your vet's not open.
    We have been up and down the last week, having a good day, and then a slide backwards. She hasn't eaten on her own in several days. Today I tried to give her all three of her pills, knowing we might have a terrible day. (She hates the appetite stimulant on, and generally throws up after it.) I wasn't quite prepared for how bad it was going to get today. She's weak from not getting/keeping down enough food, so her back legs aren't very stable. Up until today she's had weakness, but was still able to climb up and down into bed and over to the water dish and in the litter box, even in the tall litter box. She went #2 three times day before yesterday, that was progress... but today... she cheeked her prednisolone and then spit it out when I wasn't looking. I found it half dissolved and gave it to her again. About 30 minutes later she was wailing. It's similar to the "I'm going to puke" meow, or the "I'm bringing you my toy" meow. So my spouse went up to try to pet her and help her keep it down by distracting her with love. We brought her downstairs and she just looked miserable. Then I noticed the drool. Her little tongue was hanging out a quarter of the way. I thought it might be the end right there. So I brought her outside. She sniffed the wind, and the flowers.
    We brought her back inside, and I remembered we had pain meds for this... so I gave her a syringe of pedialyte, a half syringe of food and then her pain meds. Her breathing is less labored now, and she not as drooly.
    Unless she wakes up bright eyed and bushy tailed, I'm done forcing medicine and food on her unless she needs the food to get her pain meds. Monday morning we will be at the vet's office to end her suffering.
    Tonight she's sitting with us on the couch and I'm trying to find the oldest photo of her that I have and reminiscing about the last 2 decades of Runswith.

85. Waheeda

It's so sad to part with your fur baby. I'm teary-eyed just reading this. Cherish your time with Runswith. Hugs to you.

AlphaCat likes this.
  86. Kris & Teasel

I'm so sorry you're going through this with your kitty. It's terribly difficult. :bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  87. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Sending you strength and hugs this weekend. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  88. Yong & Maury GA

So sorry it's time, Alpha :(. You've done so well for her and this is your last step :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  89. MrWorfMen's Mom

Runswith's longevity is a testament to the wonderful care you've given her and the love you share. Our furry little loves are never with us long enough and making that final decision is the hardest yet most loving gift you can give. Thinking of you, your spouse and Runswith at this difficult time.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  90. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Thank you, all of you.
    <3

91. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

This cat is really trying to maintain her immortal status...
    This morning she's been very alert.
    She has gone to the water dish a couple times throughout the night, and the litter box.
    This morning I sat tuna in front of her and she ATE IT.
    She hasn't voluntarily eaten anything in many days.

Now what do I do?
    Saturday she was rough. The decision was easier to let my baby out of pain.
    Today, My Runswith woke up in my arms. Oh my goodness!

92. Kris & Teasel

Oh my ... so hard. :bighug: This reminds me of a kitty called Gussie who has passed but took his sweet time thinking about when he was ready. Go have a look at @Gussie's mom 's threads.

HWright and AlphaCat like this.
  93. MrWorfMen's Mom

All you can do is see how things go hour by hour. It's hard enough to make the decision but when they rally, it's that much harder. I'm sure Runswith will let you know when it's time.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  94. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My Tuxie had several rallies during the month when I was at the point of making the final decision. Be happy with the rallies but keep an eye on the overall. When Tuxie let me know he was done fighting and I had the vet come to the house to help him cross the Bridge, we discussed the rallies. (However by that point there was also a strong suspicion of cancer in addition to the other health issues). She said it is not uncommon for a kitty to do that. When I finally made the decision I had no doubt it was time and everything that could be done had been done. If you are unsure, have some more tests run to see if there is something treatable going on or if there is something more you can do to improve Runswith 's quality of life.

Prayers and hugs sent your way :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AlphaCat likes this.
  95. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Seriously? I don't even eat the stuff. And it doesn't work with the roast chicken you buy at the supermarket? Do they put catnip in the breading? I haven't eaten KFC for years, but I might test this theory.

AlphaCat likes this.
  96. Kris & Teasel

People who try it generally remove the coating and skin and only use it to get a kitty who's under the weather to eat.

AlphaCat likes this.
  97. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Then what about boiled chicken? One of my vets suggested it but I haven't tried it yet. I mean, chicken is chicken, eh? Maybe it's the oil. Oils tend to make flavours stronger.

AlphaCat likes this.
  98. Kris & Teasel

I think it's the flavour. If boiled chicken works I'd use that instead.

AlphaCat likes this.
  99. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

You could cook the chicken in the oven (with the skin even if you remove the skin afterwards, you could leave it but unless you have some food processor or meat grinder skin is very difficult to chew so I wouln't recomend it just now), for some reason (guess different flavor) my kitties wouldn't eat boiled chicken but if it's are cooked in the oven they love it, also chicken thighs have a stronger smell (kitties are all about smell) plus a little less protein that would make the chicken easier to digest

srk4cats likes this.
  100. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I have cooked chicken several different ways. For the most part my cats will eat anything chicken. In the winter I regularly get a rotisserie chicken and make my own soup and stock with the left overs. This gets a few of the cats attention.
    But there is a noticeable difference in reaction when we walk through the door with KFC. All the cats come out. Even the skittish ones who are never enticed by food because: it's a trap!
    Generally my spouse orders the potato bowl thing with popcorn chicken. I get either extra crispy strips or an extra crispy breast with mashed potatoes and Cole slaw.
    Many years ago (once cats out numbered people, lol) we started ordering a grilled breast additional, just to feed the cats. So we eat our meal with a giant audience, then tear up the grilled breast minus skin and they all get a portion.
    I think whatever they use in the breading is what is the kitty crack smell. It's stronger than regular homemade grilled, baked or boiled chicken. And they became conditioned with that smell equals they get a chicken treat, so they all come out.
    So if you cat isn't already conditioned to KFC smell equals chicken reward it may not have the same experience for you. I'd be interested in hearing what happens if you actually do it, lol!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Reason for edit: typo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.