Curve day...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frank's Mom, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I missed my +4 today and realize that somewhere around there was probably Frank's nadir. Looking at his numbers, I don't think he's bouncing. He's just still high. So looks like another increase in dosing soon. If any of you experts out there could look at his SS and confirm what I think I'm seeing, that would be great. (Will be updating with his +10 momentarily.)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree, ready for an increase. I would try 3

Frank's Mom likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Normally I would say 2.75U first but he does still have room to move so I think 3U will be OK. Let's see what Rachel and Kris think too :)

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well darn Frank! It does look like he's staying high and fairly flat. It does look like time for an increase. It's up to you if you'd rather do a smaller increase or not...I wouldn't raise to 3 unless I could monitor though. The protocol does suggest the .5 increases if the kitty is high and flat. :)

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you could try 3 u because he's still high.

6. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I went with the advice and my thoughts and gave 3u tonight. I'll be able to get some readings throughout the evening as I'm pretty sure I'm staying in for the night.
    Is there an explanation anywhere about why cats seem to be lower in the mornings than the evenings? It's a trend I'm seeing on Franks SS and just wondered.

Rachel likes this.
  7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It can be anything when that happens...dose lasting longer due to difference in activity levels, eating habits, etc. But except for those 2 days where you got HI, I think his levels have been about the same in the mornings and evenings. Remember that 20% variance and they're really the same numbers.

I think 3 is a good dose! Looking forward to seeing where it brings Frank.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  8. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Me too!

9. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

So far so good. I think another 2-4 hours should give some good numbers.

10. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I'm liking this 3U shot!

JanetNJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

How late are you staying up? I'm just curious what the +5 or +6 would be...

12. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Oh, I'm going to be up late. Spent today outside doing chicken chores. So now tonight I've got to catch up on house work. It's going to be a late night. Plus I want to see those good numbers when they hit!

Djamila likes this.
  13. Djamila

How are the cookie sales going this year? I was a girl scout forever....but that was way back when we still knocked on strangers' doors to sell them!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  14. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I only have 5 girls now. They are in 7th grade, and most have been with me since 1st grade. We've hit 200 per girl average, which is pretry good! Much less overall from my days of 15 girl scouts and 2400 boxes of cookies, but a good number over all.

Djamila likes this.
  15. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I'm pretty excited that 3 might be our magic number here! I'll probably get one more reading at least tonight.

16. Djamila

Lookin' good! Of course, he's now at the point where he's dropped more than 50%, and at the lowest number he's seen (my favorite rule -- I mean, who figured that out?!?!)...so brace yourself for some bouncing!

17. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Please don't say the B word! Lol. I'm prepared, I think. He's being super lovey right now, so he must be feeling good.

18. Djamila

Lol...oops, sorry! Just cover Frank's eyes and don't let him see that last post!

Isn't it nice when they start to feel better?!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  19. Djamila

And it doesn't always happen.... like anything here, every cat is different (ECID), and most of them only partially follow the rules at best!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  20. JanetNJ

Awe man! ALMOST got a blue. Maybe tomorrow.

21. Yong & Maury GA

Very nice numbers on that 3U! :cat:

22. JanetNJ

360 isn't bad! he didn't bounce!... now crossing fingers for a blue!

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wonderful numbers!

24. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

PMPS tonight makes me kind of happy. Wish I had gotten some numbers today!

Yong & Maury GA, JanetNJ and Rachel like this.
  25. Yong & Maury GA

That's a good sign though. Headed in the right direction :cat:

Frank's Mom likes this.
  26. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Real nice +2! I'm hoping for a really good +4/5. Thinking I'll have to increase again still to get the PS numbers dowb, but we are definitely going in the right direction!

27. Djamila

whispering....blue..blue..blue...

Frank's Mom and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  28. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I'M DOING A HAPPY DANCE RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Sharon14 likes this.
  29. Yong & Maury GA

30. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I'm over here all excited!

31. Djamila

Woot! Woot! Happy 1st blue day!!!

[​IMG]

Frank's Mom likes this.
  32. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Thanks! I think he'll start going back up now, but I'm watching the talking dead so I'll still get in one more test before bed. Buutt....GO BLUE! (As an Ohioian, it pains me to say that, lol.)

33. Djamila

Does it pain you in the Michigan direction or the Kentucky direction?

34. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Michigan, lol.

Djamila likes this.
  35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

All right!!!!! Congrats on that blue! GOOOO FRANK!

36. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I think frank bounced at some point ovet night. So I'm going to hold him at 3 for a few days to see what happens. Last night was pretty exciting though!

Sharon14 likes this.
  37. Kris & Teasel

Yep! Bouncing - but look at that fantastic run of blues! Now you know he can do it. :smuggrin:

Djamila likes this.
  38. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a great cycle last night!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  39. Yong & Maury GA

Frank heard how much fun the trampoline is and had to try! ;)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  40. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Bounce bounce...I think. Even though he's been HI before, it's never been after low numbers.

41. Djamila

You got a nice response last night, so I would guess he's just in the high-flat cycles for a bit. Fingers crossed it doesn't last long.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  42. Yong & Maury GA

And remember, I think bounces can take 3+ cycles to clear. ;)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  43. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Yep. I figure I'll let him stay at 3 till our vet visit on Thursday and get the official opinion from them. She doesn't seem really excited that I'm educating myself and changing doses on my own, lol.

44. Yong & Maury GA

I just haven't talked to a Vet about his diabetes since 9 February :rolleyes:. The two I brought him to made me feel like I was doing something wrong by educating myself and was a bad owner because I couldn't just throw money at them.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  45. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

My vet is pretty reasonable on price. It's $10 to go in for the glucose testing (although she'll let me skip that if I buy the Henry schein meter, so I think this week I'm going to do that). And then I'll is that meter and the more expensive strips for when she wants the numbers. He's only supposed to be at 2.5 per her direction..hmmm, do I tell her I went up to 3 or let her think we're at 2.5 still? Anyhow...once I switch meters, I'll need help figuring how to do that on the SS. For now, his BG is going down after what I'm guessing is another bounce. But he's very playful and crazy eyed tonight, so I guess that's a good sign. He was really thirsty earlier though.

46. Yong & Maury GA

That is reasonable! The one Vet wants to charge me $35 to review a curve. My thinking, I could buy 100 test strips for that price instead :D. I did get the first curve review for free though because they know I haven't worked for over a year. Main thing to note with the pet meter is the dark green range goes from 50-99 to 68-99. Lime green goes from <50 to <68.

47. Djamila

Does your meter read hi at 600? If so, that's a pretty good drop!

I think what you tell the vet depends on the vet. Some people have had their vet quit on them because they were making rogue decisions. My vet was skeptical for awhile, but when Sam went into remission after three weeks from his first diagnosis (I now know how ridiculously lucky I was), my vet became a believer, and now just lets me decide and call in every once in awhile to update him. So I think it depends on how you think the vet will respond.

And last....Yong is a pro at managing the two-different-meters data. I think my head would explode if I tried to do that!

48. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

It does, so he's dropped a good amount tonight. I just wish he hadn't been so high to start, lol. But...I know we're on the right track. I needed those blues yesterday to help me feel sane!

49. Yong & Maury GA

Djamila, What do you tell them when you call to give an update? My mum keeps telling me to update them and I'm like, "with what? I don't want their dosing advice :p"

:D

50. Djamila

Well, my regular vet doesn't try to give me dosing advice, so that helps. I just call and tell the records person that he's currently getting X units of insulin and they update his chart, and then I email his spreadsheet. I call when there is a change. So as he was increasing, I would call with the increases, and then when I dropped his dose and he looked okay at the 1.2/1.4 level, I called and told them that. I just like his records to be current in case there is ever an emergency and I lose my mind and can't think straight. If my vet tried to tell me what to do, I probably wouldn't call him so much ;):p.

Yong & Maury GA and Frank's Mom like this.
  51. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Yesterday I was all happy dance. Tonight I'm like seriously, are you kidding me!

52. Djamila

Lol...hang in there. At least you know he's in safe numbers and you sleep soundly...

I read that the high flats after a bounce can last up to six cycles...That's why we have so many pairs of patience pants around here!

Although I don't know if that really counts as a high flat since he's dropped close to 300 points - maybe more depending on how hi that hi actually was.

53. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Unfortunately my patience pants don't fit because....girl scout cookies. Haha!

54. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Sarah, patience pants come in ALL sizes!! ;)

You're definitely seeing some bounces. Frank is one of many bouncy kitties around here. It sucks, but it happens.

As for the vet...well...I was lucky that my vet at the time figured out I knew what I was doing. I had a team of 2 vets at the office I went to and one had a diabetic dog (so she got it) and they were both pro home testing and encouraged me to use a human meter. They were totally fine with it..I didn't even have to bring her in to check when I needed more insulin...just called and ordered it. We differed a lot on food, but there's always something right?

55. Kris & Teasel

That was a short bounce! Nice yellow. :)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  56. Yong & Maury GA

Elastic waist bands! ;) They have to be comfortable :cat:

Frank's Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.