? Cushing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nada, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nada

Nada Member

So my cat's BGL wouldn't get regulated. I don't think I need to up the dose because he had a whole good cycle on this one. So maybe reduce it? I need some opinions.

I think he might have Cushing. The skin around his belly is so thin that I could see his veins and sometimes his intestines moving, he shaved before an ultrasound. He gains weight only in his belly but I thought that was common in diabetic kitties.

So I want to do that urine test and was asking if it could be done at a human lab instead of Idexx. I called the lab and they told me I have to collect the urine in the span of 24 hours. So is it the same in pest? Could someone please explain?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm tagging Mary Ann (@Tuxedo Mom) as her kitty has Cushings. You may also want to do some reading on this site.

Nada likes this.
  3. Nada

Nada Member

Thank you.
    As I've read, cats need a cortisol creatinine ratio, but they don't do that in human labs anymore. They told me they could measure the cortisol and creatinine separately and then calculate the ratio. Would that be accurate. I don't think I can afford to visit the vet at the time, they are so draining and Idexx is really expensive as well.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The UCCR test needs to be done at a lab that measure levels for animals such as IDEXX. At present IDEXX does not have an 'actual value' for kitties but uses the results for dogs as an indicator. You would collect one urine sample at home so there is no stress involved and have your vet send it to IDEXX for testing. If the results come back as positive or borderline then other tests are necessary to determine if the Cushing's is PDH (pitiutary based) or ADH (adrenal based).

My Tuxie was PDH Cushing's. He had thin skin and the hard pot-bellied appearance. He was shaved for his first ultrasound and 2 1/2 years later when he passed away the hair had never regrown. The ultrasound showed enlarged liver, pancreas and both adrenals. Tuxie's glucose was very difficult to keep in check, although he never ended up going higher than 6 units twice daily, but he would swing from extreme highs to low lows (blacks to lime greens) sometimes within one cycle.

If the testing comes back positive and it is PDH Cushing's, vetoryl( also called trilostane) had been used with some success in kitties. It helps to reduce the effects of the excess cortisol that is being released. Just like acro kitties, Cushing's kitties can wax and wane with the over=production of cortisol. so regular ACTH testing is required when starting vetoryl to find the correct dosage. Over dosage of this medication can cause Addison's which is too low a level of cortisol which can be an emergency situtation, the same way a severe hypoglycemic is an emergency.

If you require more information I will try to help. The link Sienne gave above gives a good overall of the tests involved. :bighug::bighug:

ETA When I had the UCCR test done at IDEXX it was around $100 CDN including the shippping cost from the vet but that was 3 1/2 years ago so I don't know the prices now. You could ask your vet to check the cost.

Nada likes this.
  5. Nada

Nada Member

The vet I go to does have IDEXX, hence the high cost, but he's the only one I trust, and I've tried plenty of vets. I hope the UCCR doesn't cost much. I'm gonna call him tomorrow, know the specifics and try to have him tested. Fingers crossed he doesn't have it.

I live in Egypt so the cost is different. No way I could afford 100 US dollars when changing currencies.

Thank you so much for your help and support!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.