CVS-brand syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tara and Nick, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Does anyone here use CVS-brand insulin syringes? I usually get B-D brand, but this time they gave me CVS-brand (half the price of B-D) and I figured they were worth a shot (no pun intended... OK a little). :razz: Anyway, they're terrible! I draw my dose to my line and then the plungers springs forward, leaving me with less than the correct dose. Boing! And the syringe gets so much air in it (like several units worth, not just little bubbles that flick and push out). I can't quite describe it, but I'm completely unsuccessful in getting anywhere near the right dose. I tried two of these syringes and they did the same thing. I've never ever had this problem before.

Does anyone else here use the CVS brand and have any special magic trick to make them work properly? I think I'll have to go back to B-D brand (or try hocks.com one of these days, but now I'm skeptical of trying other brands).

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

3. cjleo

cjleo Member

Hi there,

As an insulin dependent diabetic, I prefer BD syringes for myself. The pharmacist tried to tell me that the drugstore brands are the same. I asked her how many shots a day she takes. :D

There is a big difference in comfort. If I can tell the difference, I would think the cats can as well.

Yes, they are more expensive, but worth it. So I buy BD for the cats as well as me.

Hope this helps,

Claudia

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia-

I'm curious, as a human diabetic what it must be like for you! I am so humbled! A few questions for you...How many times a day do you test your BG? How many times a day to you give yourself insulin? Does it hurt? What type of insulin do you take? Do you take as good care of your own diabetes as people here do for their cats?? Can you go into remission like some cats can? I hope your insurance covers all the expenses for you!!!

5. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Claudia, that is extremely helpful insight, thank you! Nick is ornery about his shots as it is, and I don't want to do anything to make it less comfortable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.