? Daily Protocol input please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

I know to give Simba his 2 unit shot of Basaglar 12 hours apart. I know not to give shot until he has eaten a full meal. When do most of your do your BG testing? I have set up the spread sheet as suggested and understand the hours past meal BG test but not what AMPS means? I'm trying to establish feeding times and take both cats off the full time buffet grazing they became accustomed to and transitioning to can and natural food with just a little sprinkling of the Costco Kirkland maintenance kibble they love. First BG reading on the Reli on Prime was 304 and 2 hrs past the night shot it was down to 190.
    SO - hard and fast rules are 12 hrs between shots, what else? Thanks

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

AMPS means AM pre-shot and PMPS PM pre-shot. You want to test before feeding and giving the insulin shot. The +1, +2, etc is hours past insulin shot.

Darwin H. likes this.
  3. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Oh, that's easy AM and PM. Thanks! Testing prior to shot I get but I thought you must be very careful about changing unit amount injected. He is on 2 units 2 times daily.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I should add that in addition to testing before every shot, you will want to do mid-cycle tests when you can. If you vary the times that you do them, it will help you begin to get a picture of the insulin's impact. Should you decide to do a curve, that means testing at pre-shot then every two hours until the next pre-shot test. This helps you see the insulin begins to take effect (onset) and when your cat's glucose level is the lowest during the cycle (nadir). If you do not do a curve, you can still gradually gather enough data to figure these things out by varying your mid-cycle test times.

If you have not been to the glargine forum yet, you may want to visit that area. There are posts at the top explaining the two methods that are used. One requires more frequent testing than the other. That forum is also the best place for you to post any dosing related questions. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Darwin H. likes this.
  5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Thanks. You informed me in a more direct and clear fashion than the Vet did. What an obtuse run around I get from their staff. I guess it's because the more I learn the less I lean on them and their profit fades into the distance. They provided little education on what to do besides show with cat and credit card.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You and Simba (he's quite the handsome dude but what a pose!) have a great sense of humour and gave me the best belly laugh I've had in days! Thank you!:D

Darwin H. likes this.
  7. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Believe it or not I did not pose him. He sits down like this naturally. Totally cracks me up Mr. Personality.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Just LOVE that photo, haha! :smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.