Daily Recordkeeping suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WendyACE, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyACE

WendyACE Member

Hi everyone,
    I finally found a thread on this huge forum that I was looking for. It was to my dismay from a year ago and now closed. You see even though I have all the latest technology (Laptop/Ipad/Smart Phone) I am still not a spread sheet kind of person when it comes to keeping daily records. I prefer the old fashioned pen and paper. Mainly what I am looking for is what information do I need to keep track of on a daily basis. I want to get on top of this before Bailey starts her Insulin next Tuesday so I have all pertinent info from the get go. Here is a list that I got from the old thread as well as a few I added. If anyone knows of anything missing or might be nice to add, PLEASE post and let me know. I am sure there are other newbies here that might benefit from the list as well.

My List so far:
    Date
    Time
    Blood Glucose reading
    Ear sampled from
    Insulin type and amount given (if any... can you say remission?)
    Where on the body was the injection made (I have heard the scruff of the neck and in different "clock" locations so as not to create scar tissue is a good idea)
    Food type/brand/amount
    Carbs and calories
    Finished meal or not
    Cat's weight (don't know if I should do this daily or weekly? any thoughts?)
    Any special notes
    Initials of Caregiver so as not to be duplicated by another household caregiver (in my case I am the only CG)

Thanks!
    Wendy(human) and Bailey(cat)

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Imho, you don't have to weigh Bailey every day. Just weigh him when you start and then a couple of times every month.

I've always have had time managers year calendars since my kiddy days, so when Simba got the diabetes in 2006 I just bought a larger one that showed every full hour of the day and the entire Mon-Sun weekdays on two pages. So I already had that noting system internalised in me.

I think your parameters of noting is a good start and you seem well prepared. You tailor what works best for you. And then make changes as you go.

3. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Instead of keeping track of weight weekly, (unless you want to, but tbh bi weekly or monthly should suffice) you may want to keep track of water intake/urine output. How much a cat is drinking and urinating is a good marker of how well they may be doing.

I'm also not sure why the ear thing is important. I'm new too, so maybe that's something I just didn't hear about. I test my cat only on his right ear anyways so I haven't thought to look into it.

You seem well prepared, and all data is good data! Good luck to you and Bailey!

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Even if you are not a spreadsheet person if you take a look at the one we use it pretty much has everything you need to keep track of regarding the diabetes, if your cat has other issues you may need to record more information.

And I do suggest you give the spreadsheet a try because using it so that everyone can see it will help the helpers here on the forum when you need some advice

5. WendyACE

WendyACE Member

Thanks All!

Chloe good point about the Water/Urine tracking only it's a problem for me to do as I have 3 cats whom share the water dishes and litter boxes.

I think I will weigh once a week to start. Bailey has lost so much weight due to her diabetes I want to make sure she gains weight back.

Veronica, as for the spreadsheet used here, as much as I don't like them I do see that it is a good thing when I am looking for help here on the forum. I am planning on setting it up next week once Bailey starts her insulin. I will still be doing my hand written record as well.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.