Dasuquin Vs. Cosequin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roni and Moonie, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Moonie & I have been here 2 yrs. She has a floating kneecap, and arthritis-On Cosequin, & methyl B12, her walking has improved, but recently she is walking like she hurts--Doesnt always finish the food I give them both, with the Cosequin in it, but I would assume the effects are cumulative--Her numbers have gone down very much & she's doing well with her FD...
    Can anyone recommend that Dasuquin is better for her than cosequin? I'm on the lantus board..Thanks..

2. Lynn and Angel

Lynn and Angel Member

Roni, I don't know which is better, but I do know that Angel pretty much refuses to eat food with Dasuquin in it. I think it might be stronger but if he won't touch it, that doesn't help. I'm thinking of buying some Cosequin to see if he'll eat that any better. Haven't wanted to spend the money just yet with the other sitting there unused. He's got bad arthritis in his hind leg.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I think the Dasequin helps with inflammation a little more than the Cosequin. Same company makes the stuff, Das is the newer version.

I tasted the Das when giving it to Henry(GA). It's savory. Henry liked it, but ECID (every cat is different).

4. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Roni, i'm sure others will post who know more than i know.
    Dasuquin does have something in it that helps the pain and is better than the Cosequin.
    Adequin injections is the best for arthritis. Vet can dilute it so it doesn't sting when injected.
    (This is what i have been told about Dasuquin and Adequin)

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I have not seen a difference between the Dasuquin and Cosequin in Blackie. Blackie also gets Adequan injections and he doesn't mind it - it doesn't seem to sting. The best thing I've found for Blackie's arthritis is Gabapentin. It's an anti-seizure drug that helps with chronic pain. Within 2 days of starting it, Blackie was walking better and jumping on things again. The only side affects are sleepiness, but the only time it made Blackie sleepy (sleepier than a normal cat) is when we increased the dose. We quickly went back to the original dose.

7. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Gandalf receives monthly Adequan injections and acupuncture twice a month. The acupuncturist also gives B12 shots in acupuncture points. Since doing this combined treatment for 6 months his regular vet noted that his spine was in better alignment than previously! When only receiving Adequan I noticed his front leg joints stopped popping. I feel the treatment is maintaining his condition and preventing pain for him.

He would not eat food with Cosequin on it so I began mixing it in a syringe and giving it to him, but that was more trouble than the acu visits! He wouldn't eat the Dasuquin on food either.

There is no harm in trying another treatment such as Adequan or acupuncture while giving the Cosequin/Dasuquin AFAIK, but ask your vet.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Roni,

My vet just gave Rosie (my civvie) Dasequin for her arthritis. She likes it, but I am not impressed. It's glucosamine, chondroitin and one other ingredient (avocado or something?). Anyway, from my readings, which may not be up to date, there is no evidence whatsoever that chondroitin does anything. There is some slim evidence that glucosamine does. The Desequin cost $40 for a bottle of capsules. I can get glucosamine capsules from drugstore. com for a fraction of that cost. And have done that, and she eats her food fine with the glucosamine on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.