DAVIDSON Blood Work Results Mar 9th

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I was to start a new thread, so I did update under original one and here is the post I made regarding the Vet results today.........Vet said it's not as bad as expected and could BG levels could be due to infections, surgery is Mar 13th, so once that is done and meds are completed I can decide if insulin needs to begin.

UPDATED BG'S

Mar 8 14:00 257
    17:30 214

Mar 9 4:30 228
    6:45 243 (30 min after feeding)
    12:00 205

VET BLOOD WORK RESULTS:

Fructosamine High 425 normal 191 - 349
    T4 36.9 (no issues here normal 10 - 60

Vet says levels could be directly due to the infections and pain levels that Davdison is experiencing, however it could be that he needs to be on insulin but we both agreed to wait until after tooth removal and infections clear up. He's now on meds for one week until surgery Mar 13th, then another 10 days on meds.

MEDS provided: Metacam and Antirobe.........one is an anitbiotic and the other a pain reliever. Hopefully I will see reductions in BG over the next several days as meds kick in. As well, the Dr and I agreed that post surgery and his BG levels have not started to come down within 4-5 days then I will start to give 2 units of Lantus twice a day and hopefully can regulate things.

Good news is no kidney, liver or any other diseases are showing up on the extensive blood work that was done.

FYI the following were shown to be High or Low on blood work:(not shown means normal)

Hematology - Lymphoxyte Low at 0.8 normal 0.9 - 5.9

Chemistry - Glucose High 13.3 normal 4.0 - 9.7
    - Cacium High 3.0 normal 2.2 - 2.7
    - Potassium Low 3.4 normal 3.7 - 5.2
    - Na:K Ratio High 44 normal 29 - 42
    - Chloride Low 100 normal 114 - 126
    - Total Protein High 91 normal 63 - 88
    - Albumin High 40 normal 26 - 39

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated and I will do min 6 test daily.

Thanks
    Shawna

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

In the US Metacam has a black box warning for cats as it can have major adverse reaction to kidneys. I believe it’s the same in Canada. I would not use it. Hoping BG due to infection.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

It's a purple box and it an anti-inflammatory (non-steroidal)..........I read the fine print and it says the most common adverse reaction reported involved the kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. Symtons include loss of appetite, depression and vomiting. He is given a 5.8 gs dose once per day with food..............no reactions at all right now.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Elise. I would try another pain reliever. Buprenorphine is a good option. My vet no longer gives Metacam to cats.

The Antirobe is a good antibiotic for the mouth, but can be bitter. You might also want to start a probiotic. ABs can kill off tummy flora so the probiotic would balance that out. Give the probiotic and AB at least two hours apart. Good luck with the dental.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s not the actual color of the box. A black box warning means use very cautiously. Most vets here won’t use meta cam at all for cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.