Dawn effect?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jenna Josie, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Josie has been giving me some lovely blue PMPS numbers (the result of her long cycles, I think. Still too crazy-busy at work to get home for a midday. She did give me a wonderful, NORMAL curve on Saturday! I wish she would string a couple of those together . . . ).

Anyway, her AMPS numbers are not so good, including two consecutive almost-pinks. I was wondering if this might be the "dawn effect"? Since I did get a +6 last night, I am pretty confident its not a bounce (Somogyi); she has had enough blues lately that -- I hope -- her little body isn't panicking over them. The evening before the first almost-pink AMPS (so, Sunday night into Monday morning), I forgot to give her her before bed snack :oops: which I think would explain it. Last night, I did remember but gave it early (+2 rather than +4). Maybe that explains it, too?

Obviously, I can do better about her evening snacks, but I wondered if anyone had insights as to whether it may be something else and, if so, thoughts for how to get her AM and PM numbers more in sync?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Overall, Josie is looking pretty good these days! Sam's numbers go up significantly if he has gone too long without eating, so it could be that Josie really does need that later snack. I ended up using a timed feeder to open later in the cycle during the night to cue Sam to go have a little snack, and that seems to help keep the higher AMPS numbers from getting too high. Most cats don't do well with late-cycle snacks, but as you know, every cat is different, so maybe Josie would do better with that - or with keeping her snack a little further into the cycle like you were (around +4).

It's also possible that she needs a smidge more insulin at night. Every once in awhile we see a cat that needs something like 2.2 during the day and 2.3 at night - just a little offset, but enough to get a little longer duration during their higher cycle. So you could also try that and see if it helps.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Well, @Djamila that sounded like a great idea . . . until she just gave me an 85 PMPS (after a 191 +5)! Even in my newly-courageous state, I'm not shooting on that!

So maybe I'm wrong and she *is* having a quick, late nadir resulting in a bounce? Seriously, shouldn't getting a +6 in the middle of the night result in some kind of reward instead of muddying things? Oh, Josie. :rolleyes:

Stalling . . .

(Also, anybody else think they notice a correlation between a low PG and cold ears?)

EDIT: her mid-day was at +5, not +6 as originally posted.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  4. Djamila

How is Josie doing now? Do you know about the BOS (Balls of Steel) award? You get it the first time you shoot on a green :D.
    DISCLAIMER: To anyone lurking, this only applies to long-term kitties. Please do NOT shoot on a green if your kitty is less than six months into this dance. It's just not safe in the beginning.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  5. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Just tested her: at +14, she is at 145 with a full dinner (3 oz FF) on board for an hour. I'm just about to draw a dose of, um, . . . 2.2!

I'm basing this on her AM doses on 1/15 and 1/26 . . . but open to suggestions!

Djamila likes this.
  6. Djamila

Looking at the 2/14 PM cycle, I think the full dose (or a smidge off if that feels safer) sounds good.

7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I decided to skinny it up to 2.2 even though, yes, the (much more recent) 2/14 cycle suggested her 2.2F would have been okay. I did that b/c 1) an 85 at +12 is low! and 2) I really should try to to get to work at a decent hour in the morning, and so I'm going to want to shoot before 10:00 (which would be her +12), lol!

This is nutty: I'm going to have to set an alarm to get a +2!

Djamila likes this.