Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandie & Greyson

Mandie & Greyson New Member

Moving this from the Welcome Thread - still trying to figure this all out!

My baby Greyson is 6 1/2 and we went to the vet today because of his increased water intake in the last few weeks. We left with diabetes and gum disease diagnoses, ProZinc insulin and a lot of worry. He measured 412 today, but it was about an hour after his breakfast and under extreme stress at the vet. I am overwhelmed with both the diagnosis and the sheer amount of information that I can't seem to process, even after spending most of the afternoon reading this and other sites. I have so many questions, which I'll list below, but please do direct me to the right place if I should be somwhere else...I've searched and I know I'm repeating from so many others new to this but there's just so much and I'm spinning...

1) My vet's instructions were for 2 units 2 times/day of the ProZinc, as well as to switch Greyson's food to low carb. I have already made the food change today (thanks to the advice here, trying to avoid the "prescription" stuff), but I am concerned about the amount of insulin he's suggesting right out the gate. Is it prudent to take a step back, change his food and wait a couple of days before injecting him?? I don't want to cause more harm, but it just doesn't feel right to jump right in at that level. I feel this sense of urgency, but I wonder if it's okay to take it a little slower right now?

2) It's very clear I need to home test. I naively went to Target today thinking I could just pick one up...it doesn't seem to work that way, they wanted a prescription? How/where do I get a BG tester quickly, especially if I am holding off on the insulin per question 1? from a response on the other page, I think this may have been bad information but I would love to hear where others have picked them up

3) Once I have one, is there a clear guide somewhere that I've missed (totally possible, it's been a long day) that tells me what the goal BG levels are? And guides me on how much insulin to actually start with if I'm not comfortable with my vet's black and white #?

4) What is the connection with the gum disease? I would have that addressed anyway per his advice, but he sort of vaguely suggested that there may be a correlation and I'm confused by that.

Thank you so much for any initial advice or redirects. I know this is going to be okay, but wow is it a lot to get my head and heart around.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

1 good call switching food. I don't think you need to wait, but I would only start at one unit twice a day. Lowering the carbs can make a big difference. What was he eating before?

2. You don't need a perscription for a meter! That's strange they said you did. You can get one at any pharmacy. I bought a pet specific meter called an Alphatrak on amazon. Many on here use human meters though. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

3. Normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150. You will probably see lots of readings over that, but you need to avoid going too low. That's called hypoglycemia and can be dangerous.

4 pain and infection can raise bg numbers. Id get a dental done if he has issues. Diabetic cats are particularly prone to teeth problem.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

I feel the same way as you....OVERWHELMED! My cat was diagnosed abut a week and a half ago and I monitored his blood glucose levels and switched to a low carb food. Tomorrow I am starting LANTUS insulin and I am petrified. I am very scared. My vet wanted me to start 2 units and then she went down to 1.5 units 2 X day. I understand your concerns. Being new on this site I cannot give you any advice, but only wish you well and remember everyone on this forum is compassionate and very helpful.

4. Mandie & Greyson

Thank you so much. I will try starting the insulin tomorrow at 1 unit - that feels better to me. Especially as I need to get the meter - I'll try another store tomorrow and hopefully have my head about me and push back.

Greyson was on primarily dry food (Natural Balance) - he did get a half can of wet food per day, but per the chart the wet food was not low carb. So I am hoping to see a difference from that elimination of dry food and switch to FF (which thankfully, he and my other cat who is going along for the ride, seem to love).

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

6. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you! I will look for the yellow stickies...thanks again.

7. Sharon14

8. Mandie & Greyson

The Prozinc stickies were very helpful to me, thank you! We had a successful first injection of 1 unit this morning - I'm hoping I can begin home testing tonight.

Kris & Teasel, JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  9. Sharon14

I hope you get the meter today, that’s weird they asked for a prescription.... Do you have a Walmart nearby? Their Relion meters are cheap and the strips are easy to get. Wherever you go, be sure to get a meter that uses the least amount of blood (no more than .5 microliters) and has affordable strips. Be sure to get some lancets (gauge 26-28).

10. Mandie & Greyson

I think it was a random Target situation. I'm planning to hit Walmart this afternoon!

Sharon14 likes this.
  11. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Hi Mandie and Greyson. I might be tempted to hold off on the insulin until you are able to test at home!!. Additionally it might be a good idea to do the low carb diet change and get the dental work done before determining dosing needs. Those two things along with home testing could significantly drop Greysons BG numbers. He tested 412 at the vet (stress) while on high carb food only an hour after eating which to me would leave a lot of question regarding real BG #s and required dosing. Best to not jump too quickly and end up with a hypo situation. Do you know if you vet performed a fructosamine test on Greyson?

12. Mandie & Greyson

Hi! They did not, I am due to go back next week and I believe he plans to run that test at that time. I don't think he'll be happy when I come back not having given his prescribed 2 units twice per day, but I can take him...;-)
    It was my initial thought, as well, to change diet and see what happens first. I don't want to NOT treat him if I should and it was this sense of urgency after the diagnosis that I may do him harm if I wait, but already last night and today, he is not drinking water like he lives in the desert. I did give him one unit of prozinc this morning, but I want to test him myself before I do anything else. And then make a decision from there for the next few days before we go back to the vet. I do want to get the dental scheduled as soon as possible.
    Thank you so much for the perspective.

13. Debra and Yoyo

Hi, I wanted to check in on you and see how you are doing on the first day of dosing.
    I too started today and had a scare. Yoyo dropped over 200 points in 3.5 hrs. Everyone on this site has been great. I also called my Vet and she said to watch him and recheck BG levels.
    He went up 4 points, so I am grateful for that. I am monitoring him closely and may drop his dosage. Will discuss with my vet later.
    Hope you are having a better day than Yo and me.

14. Mandie & Greyson

Oh, I'm so sorry for the challenges you and Yoyo have had! Greyson just had a small does this morning and he is fine, but I'm going blind until I get a monitor later today. I am then going to decide if I continue to dose or "wait and see" on the new food as his physical symptoms have already improved. It's a crazy science trying to figure this out, isn't it?? I think my other cat is having the biggest challenge with all this - less attention and a new diet she did NOT ask for!

15. Debra and Yoyo

Glad to hear you are all doing well. How much insulin did you give Greyson this morning? I am giving Yoyo Lantus and I don't know the difference from ProZinc. Do you?

16. Sharon14

@Debra and Yoyo peeked at your SS, Yo-yo looks good!!! I don’t know all the specifics, but basically Lantus is a depot insulin, meaning each dose builds upon the other to build up a reserve that gets released slowly, while prozinc is also a long acting gentle insulin, it doesn’t build a Depot the way Lantus does. Both are excellent insulins. I’m sure others can explain it better!

17. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you!

Sharon14 likes this.
  18. Sharon14

19. Mandie & Greyson

Hi, yes I got the Relion at Walmart and we have used it twice. Thank you. I would say we are still struggling a bit, but I've managed to test before shots last night and this morning, making me feel much more comfortable injecting. Today I seem to be mentally struggling more than anything - worrying I'm not doing it right, worrying I'm making bad decisions and making it worse, worrying about how I am going to manage through this on my next business trip (I'm typically on the road at least once a month). Stages of acceptance??

20. Sharon14

Great that you’ve started testing! Nice +3 number:cool: I think we are all nervous about doing things the right way, especially in the beginning. Post here with any questions, or if you just want to chat, come to the community forum. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/community-off-topic.4/
    Sometimes hanging out with others that are going through the same things as you can help ease your worries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.