Day 10 of Newly Diagnosed Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liz White, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz White

Liz White New Member

As many before me have posted ....I'm new here. Jasper is my 11 year old tiger. He wasn't feeling well, so decided to take him to our vet. After an xray, bladder centesis, labs, we found out he had a UTI. And Diabetes. His sugar was 585 and he was in DKA. When o picked him up 2 days later he had developed neuropathy to the point that he couldn't walk. He stumbled just trying to stand. He couldn't get to the litter box, so was soaked with urine. Today, he's doing 1,000% better on 2 units of Prozinc twice daily. His glucometer came today so I'm doing a curve tomorrow. He's really struggling with twice daily feeding. So are the rest of the cats! Any advice, words of encouragement, or well wishes are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I feed my girls four times a day. The AAHA guidelines (link in my signature) talk about splitting the food up into multiple meals. You do not have to feel just twice a day. You should take up any food two hours before you do the pre-shot glucose test so that your results will not be food-impacted.

3. Liz White

Liz White New Member

Thank you! Right now all food is picked up all the time except when Jasper is getting his meals. So, everyone else has an imposed twice daily meal time as well. I have a multi cat household with 9 other cats and they are not happy! I asked my vet tech about timing a glucose curve and I was told that I should feed, inject, then draw. I thought it would be just the opposite. Draw first, just like a human gets a fasting blood sugar...?

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

For a curve, the first test is supposed to be BEFORE feeding or giving the insulin shot. Then you test every two hours after that with the last test being the next pre-shot test. You feed as normal during the cycle, it is just the pre-shot tests when there should have been no food for a couple of hours. You may want to go ahead and set up a spreadsheet to record your test numbers. You will find it to be a very valuable tool going forward.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Please post any questions/issues you have on the main health forum. This forum is usually just for the introductions. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.