Day 3 of vomiting and diarrea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alice and Tabby, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Vet said it is a bout of colitis. Sebastian my civie hasn't had it like this before. It seems to slow down and than he eats and the vomiting and diarrea start again. He has a fish allergy but there isn't any fish in the foods he is eating. Help, i don't know how much more he can take. Should I stop food for 24 hours or something. Any help please.

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i'd talk to my vet before making any dietary changes, in case he has something else going on, but when harry had severe diarrhea we stopped his regular cat food for about a week and gave him just boiled chicken breast to solidify his poo (chicken breast boiled in plain water until the pink is mostly gone from the meat). it's not safe to give that permanently but it's a way to see if something he's eating is what's causing the diarrhea/vomit.
    we tried other things afterward but the first step is to see whether he's reacting to something in his food by switching to a bland diet and then slowly add back some types of food to see what could be affecting him. in our case we then tried flagyl for around a week as well as probiotics (fortiflora).

but vomiting and diarrhea could be something more serious. has he been xrayed to see if there's a blockage or something?

3. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

I just gave him some acidophilus in a tsp of food with rice in it. In Tabby's IBD case only food with rice in it stopped his diarrea. Sebastian has never had a problem unless he ate fish. He was eating a 1/2 can of FF that had fish as the 5th or 6th ingredient in it and it never bothered him. I think he found a couple old tuna treats the other day and that is what triggered this nightmare. Now even if he eats his regualr food that contain NO fish he still goes into diarrea and vomiting. I don't know anything about colitis except my house stinks bad. I have been covered in cat poop and vomit and it's not even 7am yet. What we do for our furries. I will get some chicken and see if that works. I hope the acidophilus works at least for a little bit. Just when I think he's better he eats and bam. I thought about putting him on the same food that helped Tabby but fish is on the ingredient list. I will check out Iam lamb and rice wet food and see if that has fish on it. But I think the colitis thing is all riled up and the chicken may be just the thing to settle it down. Thank you. I know there are so many people on this site with so much knowledge I don't know what i would do without it. Lucky my husband picked me up off the living room floor as I was crying and cleaing up cat poop. No the first time he's done it and it won't be the last. Will let you now how the chicken goes.

4. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Poor Sebastian. I know he can't be feeling well. You need to make sure he is staying hydrated. Have you done the skin snap test? I would call the vet again tomorrow and tell him it had been 3 days so you are concerned, it couldn't hurt to call. Let us know how he is please.

5. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

He is on boiled chicken breast since after the horrible bout this morning. He has only had a little diarrea since then. Can't find any Iams lamb and rice here. I will have to drive 90 miles to the nearest store to get some. May try some friskies with rice, that's what stopped Tabby's chronic diarrea. Not sure which I will try first.

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

the boiled chicken breast helped harry a lot. now it's not his main meal but i use it as a treat to help solidify his poo, too. gotta get your cat back on cat food soon, but boiled chicken will be fine for a week.

any vomiting since this? i worry between the vomiting and diarrhea your cat wasn't getting enough nutrients. oh, and it's fine to give him some of the water the chicken was boiled in. that'll help somewhat with the dehydration from the diarrhea.

many vets will try the flagyl route next (for 7-10 days), so you might want to ask your vet about that. this could be just a temporary reaction to the food that disagreed with him, so give yourself a big hug from us, and your hubby too.

oh, and just FYI, never stop food for a kitty. without food for over 24 hrs many cats develop a serious condition called hepatic lipidosis. cleo got it from vomiting for a week even tho she was still eating (because she wasn't getting enuf nutrients). so trying a bland diet will help or even chicken baby food (nothing with onions or garlic).

some cats have a reaction to fancy feast because of the flavor enhancers they use. so it might be a matter of finding a different food. wellness grainfree chicken or wellness core canned food (chicken & turkey mixture) is a high quality cat food tho it might be harder to find in your area. it may just be a matter of trying different store brands til you find one that doesn't aggravate your cat's gastrointestinal system. if you can find wellness and you join their website, they offer coupons linked via email. usually i get $3 off any wellness dry food (one of my cats eats dry because she has cancer and i have to give her whatever she'll eat), but til july 12 they're offering $1 coupons for canned food. you can xerox the coupons you print from their email offer for a substantial savings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.