Day 7-no insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurballLover, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Good morning!

Last thurs was Charlie's last shot pm 2.5u. :smile: Since then, we have began hometesting and mostly its gone well.

We are in the process of eliminating the d/m kibble, but they are resistant, and its slow going. Its hard to say exactly how much he is eating bc he's a grazer and we have two kitties. They don't seem to be eating as much and I'm slightly concerned. They are acting normal and playful/grooming, but they are definitely hungrier than normal at dinner time. I have been mixing the kibble with different kinds of lc wet to try and see what flavors they like.

I couldn't get +1or +2 for 24hrs bc of a small family emergency (everything's ok now). I did get a +2 last night and it was 74. his amps (pre-breakfast) was 73. Keeping in mind that he is still eating about 1/4c kibble-is this number still too high? Should I continue withholding insulin until sat when I can get better +1,+2?

What tests I could get the last 2 days were in the green, but there are a few slightly higher numbers before that.

I just need some reassurance that I'm not hurting him by withholding the insulin--should I stay the course for a few more days and get more numbers?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This is looking great, Jen. 73-74 is a very normal number. Here is a chart that may help: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Blood ... guidelines

Have you tried the usual ideas to enhance the wet food: warming in microwave until nice and stinky? Putting Kitty Kaviar or parmesan cheese or tuna juice on top? Sometimes they like the kibble crushed up on top. Don't give up - you will find the secret.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

You are doing great Jen, as is Charlie. He's not shootable with those numbers, and the numbers should only get better/more stable as you continue your transition to low-carb wet food.

4. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Thanks Ladies,
    That link was helpful. I just get a little uneasy at times and need a little hand-holding! :D

I have tried warm h20 mixed in, and the parm chz. I will try the tuna juice (At least I know DH will eat the tuna--I cant stand the stuff--yuk :cry: ) Hadn't heard the micro thing yet--I'll try that one at dinner tonight.

I just need to remind myself to be patient--not an easy thing for me.

I also worry bc my civie Molly is already a tiny thing, and she seems lighter lately--but she's friskier than ever, so she must be feeling fine!

btw-what kind of tuna do I buy? oil/water? unflavored?

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Plain water based tuna is best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.