DCIN Adoptable Cats--Featuring YODA!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN), Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

This week's featured cat is Yoda.

[​IMG]

Yoda is a flame point siamese (maybe mix) that Kelly rescued from euthanasia. He was in pretty bad shape when Kelly got him, but she and the vet have done a remarkable job getting Yoda healthy. The last step in that process, a dental, is being done tomorrow.

Because Yoda is a siamese, he talks. Here's a video.

[youtube]qJ-pV5SK8ks[/youtube]

I met Yoda when I visited Indiana this summer, and I was amazed at how accepting he was of strangers (I brought a friend along). He hung out in the living room with all the beans and other cats, was petted, held, and talked to, played by himself throwing his toy mouse in the air to catch it and dashing up and down the stairs, and perched on the back of the couch next to me to watch the outside. I had a very difficult time leaving Indiana without Yoda. He promises to be an easy fit in any situation (although I don't think we know how he is with dogs).

Should you want to adopt Yoda, DCIN will do its best to get Yoda to you. You can read more about Yoda here.

The other cats currently on DCIN's adoption list are:

Beasley (in DCIN foster with dian in Pittsburgh; will adopt separately from his friend Twinkie)
    Doug (in foster with Claudia in MA)
    Jacob (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Jules (in foster with Claudia in MA; diet controlled diabetic)
    Kitty (in foster with missyandlittlegray)
    Pewter Boy (in foster with Claudia in MA)
    Rusty (needs rehoming from Phoebe near Detroit)
    Sebastian Purrbox (in foster with Stefani in Maryland)
    Tawny (in DCIN foster with Desi in Louisiana)
    Tommy (in foster with Rhea in Charlottesville-Albemarle Virginia)
    Twinkie (in DCIN foster with dian in Pittsburgh; will adopt separately from his friend Beasley)

I invite the foster beans of cats of the DCIN adoption list to post updates about their charges on this thread. You may see new threads during the week if cats are added to DCIN's adoption or courtesy lists. (The courtesy list is on the main page of the DCIN blog, after the cats listed above.) You also may see the foster beans post about these cats on Health and the Insulin Support Groups.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Rusty is doing well but seems a little bored by himself in the bedroom. His blood sugar is stabilized on the lower post-dental dose of 0.25u BID Levemir -- and well regulated -- his pre-shot BGs range from ~85 to 130.

We're considering seeing if he would like to be a therapy cat, but not sure what is involved. He is very social and friendly with people, so I think he would love to get out and meet new people.

Anyone with experience in therapy cats want to send me a PM or start a new topic? (I don't want to hijack DCIN's adoption thread) Thanks! Phoebe

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yoda is home from his dental now and resting comfortably in my husband's lap. cat_pet_icon

He had two back teeth pulled and a whole bunch of ear wax cleaned out of his ears, but is better for it! We are hoping that the inflammation in his mouth will go down after a few days.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Kelly, I am so glad he did well with his dental. Folks, I sure hope someone will step forward for Yoda. Kelly has brought his health so far since she plucked him from the jaws of death. He has a minor continuing problems with gingivitis and mild anemia, but the reason have been identified and are being addressed with procedures and medication that just take some time to work. Yoda is highly adoptable. If you are looking for a lap cat with true purrsonality, Yoda's your cat!!

5. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Bumping.

Just wanted to give folks a heads up that there may be another diabetic cat coming onto DCIN's adoptable list. This one is a cutie. What I have written up about Bones so far is on DCIN's face book page.

[​IMG]

Bones will start Lantus today or tomorrow, and I hope to see his bean(s) show up here soon, to learn how to manage feline diabetes until they can find this darling 9-month old orinch boy a home.

PS. If you haven't "liked" DCIN's facebook page, please do so. If there is a large following, I may end up migrating most of the information about adoptable and in need diabetic cats and fundraisers there rather than using the FDMB as much as I do.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Bastian

BASTIAN!!

[​IMG]<---click to enlarge

Sebastian Purrbox (AKA Bastian) is a 10YO insulin-dependent diabetic, currently on Levemir, that is being fostered by Stefani but vacationing at Spa Venita while Stefani takes care of some business. His DCIN Blog page is here.

If you don't want a lap cat, Bastian is for you. He is very bright, talkative for food (which he lives for), and easily trainable. For example, we have trained him not to come into the kitchen when we eat there and to come up onto the bed for his BG tests. He will lay on the bed with you, but will not snuggle or cuddle. He allows me belly kisses, even though he denied them to Stefani.

We are still working on trying to get him more mannerly during feeding time. He pushes the other cats off their plates, and for the time being, we are feeding him in a separate room.

Bastian is a large cat, but not fat at all. If you have ever had a large Tuxedo, you know how beautiful they can be. Bastian is stunning.

As for his diabetes...on both Lantus and now on Levemir, he's having trouble with steep drops (200 points in 2 hours) and maintaining duration (the insulin is usually kaput after 9 hours). I have been trying to overcome this by giving him a split shot. .75U at +12 and then .5U at +2 after the first shot. It has been mostly successful as you can see in his spreadsheet in my signature line.

It's been a long time since anyone on the Board has adopted one of the cats on DCIN's list. There are many ready for a furever home, and some that are just so adoptable that we can't figure what the problem is. This is Yoda's week, and he is just so adorable---and young---and close to OTJ.

7. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

[​IMG]

Paco in Plymouth Michigan has just been put up on Craig'sList. DCIN has courtesy posted him.

Recently diagnosed; not on insulin. Has been sickly for awhile. We are working on getting more info.

8. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Tawny update.

I checked in with Desi yesterday about Tawny. I wrote down the following words from our chat: great, sweetest, cool cat, and Lassie. What's the "Lassie" all about. Tawny "herds" Desi where she wants her to go, as in ----> "Come on, Mom, Timmy has fallen down the well."

Tawny's BG levels have been stable, and she even had a 176 PS the other day. Desi will be raising Tawny from .5 to .75U Lantus, and getting some spot checks this weekend.

Desi's crazy busy. Please send her some good thoughts.

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

This thread is closed. This week's adoptable cats list---featuring TAWNY--is here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.