DCIN Needs Your Help--One hurdle leapt (update below)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN), Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

I often see folks here suggest to other folks that they contact Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) for help when there is a financial barrier to treating a diabetic cat. DCIN helps when it can, and we have been glad to help.

But DCIN is having a serious financial problem. We will be adjusting our assistance and rehoming programs in various ways to reduce our cash outflow. But we also need to take care of the $5K deficit we have in our programs. We have received about $3K in donations, but we have $2K still to raise. Please help if you can by reading this blog page and donating to the chip-in.

DCIN also needs help with costs for Mary, a DCIN foster cat that went DKA last week. This is yesterday's Health post about her. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74112&p=803978 It appears that Mary will survive this event, but her ER care will cost DCIN around $5K. We have only raised about $600 of what we need to pay for her care.

Thank you, Rebecca, for letting me post this, and thank you all for your continuing support of DCIN.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: DCIN Needs Your Help

Thanks big time, for all you do.

It's going to be a couple weeks before next payday, but I think I can make a donation then.

Bumping this post up to the top, anyway.

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Please spread the word. I posted about this to a cat group on Live Journal and someone donated because they saw it! People who believe in the welfare of cats will help, even if DCIN has not directly helped their cats. So post on Pinterest, post on Twitter, post on Facebook, post on email groups (if allowed, check the rules first). The General Fund pool has increased substantially already!

Way to go!

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Bump

5. Shari and Max

Shari and Max Member

bump

6. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Bump! And Count me In in honor of Chewy! It is amazing the work that DCIN does!

7. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Mary sends purrs and smoochies to DCIN/Venita for supporting her in her hour of need. Her ER vet bill is $4,600 and are still rising :shock: so please keep sharing

Lisa & Mary

8. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank You Venita and DCIN for the many many lives you have saved!!!

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for your comments and bumps. We have been able to raise $4000 toward our $5000 deficit.

We are not doing so well on raising funds for Mary's DKA. (Mary is coming home today. YEAH!!) DCIN has spent $4600 and raised $710 for Mary. Without more donations for her DKA, DCIN will be right back to the deficit position it has been in.

10. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Bump. I have also shared on FB.

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Bump.

12. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Bump

13. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

bump bump

14. sophie

sophie Member

Hello,
    just chipped in. Made a notation to please use it for Stephanie&Beans, if they had applied; otherwise, please use it for Mary.

Made a mental note to myself that if every member of this board chipped in even $1 or $2 or $3, or $4 - that would make quite an impact for kitties in such desperate need. It's extremely easy and fast through PayPal and you do not need a PayPal account - you can do it as a guest of PayPal. Literally, takes under 5 minutes with a credit or ATM card.

Best wishes,
    Sophie

15. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Mary sends you extra smoochies!

16. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I just saw DCIN is at 88% of the $5000 goal!!! You guys are awsome!!!

Big $$$'s are great but it's the little money that adds up :mrgreen:

17. sophie

sophie Member

Hello!
    Mary, my sweetie, you send the best smoochies! I'm still smiling with delight!

Gail, you're so right! Small amounts can add up to a huge sum. I remember my time as Girl Scout leader, our fundraisers made an indelible impression on the girls. That's how we made sure that all the girls in our troop could go on all the trips. We left no one behind. Something like the Marines' Semper Fi!!! Hopefully, no one on FDMB would be embarrassed by donating $1 or $2 - if enough members do it, we can pay off Mary's bill. Here's hoping! You guys are great!!!

All my best,
    Sophie

18. Barn Cats R Us

Barn Cats R Us Member

Bump for Mary...plus the General Fund is still a tad short!

19. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for a successful conclusion to the deficit fundraiser. The full $5,000 we needed was donated.

DCIN still needs help on the large bill caused by Mary's DKA.

Venita and all the other DCIN case managers.

20. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

This board is so awesome!!!

Another idea to help DCIN is to shop online through http://www.igive.com/ . I just purchased some stuff from Petco that I needed and was going to go to the store for, but saw that they give 4%. My online purchase just gave DCIN $5, and with my PALS thingy, I got free shipping. :coffee:

21. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Mary sends extra smoochies to everyone who donates and her sister Rhoda sends some fluffy purrs too!

22. Victoria & Buttons

Victoria & Buttons Member

Yahoo! So happy to see we have the $5000. Ive been trying to do some (late) spring cleaning lately, and trying to sell stuff I no longer want or need. Ive been donating all that money to Marys fund. Though its only small amounts, it makes me feel fantastic that I'm helping. I've also posted it a million times on Facebook. We can do this! :D

23. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Mary sends you extra smoochies!

24. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Mary's Chip-In

DCIN continues to not do well with receiving donations for Mary's $5K DKA. Please send a donation if you can, or DCIN will be right back to where it was before all its awesome friends helped it out of its deficit position.

25. sophie

sophie Member

Venita and Everyone,

I wonder what everyone's thoughts would be re publishing an e-book of our brief and funny conversations and/or encounters and photos (or possibly appropriate drawings?) with our kitties. I think it can be done rather inexpensively. I know of someone who put out a short e-book this spring. She did it on Amazon. com, priced it very low and made thousands of dollars. The art cover and formatting of text were her only costs - under $200. If we used one of our own photos for the cover, the cost should be less. Or this could be done through another e-book publisher. Perhaps, a few funny words on one page and a photo on the opposing page. I have been meaning to do this with my triplets! Even if this has already been done, the more the merrier!

Perhaps, profits could be shared between DCIN and FDMB. The business end would need to be thoroughly discussed. The E-book market is hot right now.

Just throwing it out for discussion. Best wishes, Sophie

26. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

I've formatted ebooks before, and would be willing to donate my time for this worthwhile effort!

Suze

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.