Debbie Having Anxiety!!! Need Advise

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by oreosmom, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hello Lantus Friends,

I posted this on the regular Board, but since you in Lantus-land all have been my life-savers, I really need your input:

As you probably know, our Oreo (sugar kitty) died after a battle with cancer on Christmas eve. Debbie was his Calico side-kick. She is 13 years old and was never the dominant cat. She has always been somewhat fearful and nervous. After Oreo's death she had been getting closer to us and even sleeping with us! However, the day after Thanksgiving we had a dishwasher flood in our house and this lead to major construction and noise. All of our floors had to be replaced and carpenters, painters and construction workers have been in our house. We had Oreo and Debbie quarantined to our bedroom. Then after Oreo's death, it was just Debbie.

Yesterday the workers had to go into our room to finish the floors. I had to literally grab Debbie to bring her into another room since I knew she could not stay in her regular space. NOW SHE IS TERRIFIED! She stays in her tiny cubby-bed, won't come out, and occassionally hisses at us! She has barely come out of her box today! We are really worried!!! She had a vet checkup and bloodwork last week and all seemed fine. Of course if she is acting like this on Monday it will be another trip to the vet.

Can any of you help with this behavior problem? We have never seen her act like this and are not sure how to help! She has eaten and takes some snacks from our hands. Should we give her lots of space and leave her alone or talk to her and try to coax her out of her cubby? HELP!!!! Sincerely, Carol, Oreo's Mom

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yikes, poor baby! that's gotta be rough on her to have lost Oreo and then to have a lot of scary things going on.

i think i'd give her space - as long as she's eating - and let her calm down. you could get some Rescue Remedy at any pet store and give her a drop or two to see if it helps calm her. People use that for traveling with cats or other anxiety-producing situations.

There's a stronger drug that my cousin had experience with, called Composure. I think it's a prescription drug. If she doesn't relax in a few days with the help of RR, i *might* ask the vet about something else. There is a kitty prozac - and if she's worked up enough i'd consider it for a while.

3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

She is just really stressed and scared............Harley and Davidson have been exposed to contractors, builders, etc. and Harley is fine and will visit and get in the way - but Davidson is a different story. He gets terrified from all the banging, hides and won't come out for a day or more depending on how long the workers were here. when I knew where he was hiding I just took the food and water to him as well as a litter box and let him have "his space" where ever he choose to hide. He felt safe where he was and it was best to leave him there......once the noise was gone he slowly came out. Each time there is a worker of some sort here he goes back to hide. I think it's normal and as long as you can get him to eat and drink where he is then he will settle down. The hissing is probably a reaction due to you intruding his safe space and letting you know it.

I could be wrong, but that's what Davidson did as well

Shawna

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd also think about getting some Feliway plug-ins for the room Debbie is in. That may help to calm her.

I wouldn't try to force her. If you want to sit in the room and just be with her, that would be fine. I'd let her come to you. I'd also consider putting on music or something to mask the sound of the construction.

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Carol: I had a scaredy cat, too. Kisa was easily startled and didn't handle change well. Just taking the vacuum cleaner out of the closet would send him into hiding for hours. A major upset like a repair man's visit or company would make him hole up in my closet for days. Nothing seemed to comfort him, so we made sure food and water and litter box were nearby and gave him his space. He always came out, eventually, and would soon return to his normal self once the scary thing was gone. Just give her time and space and let her tell you when she's ready to be friends again. Just sitting quietly in the room (take a book or something) is a good idea.

I hope she comes around soon. Good luck!

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Definitely giving her time to calm down and relax, and feel comfortable again is the key. It takes time, though. Hoping that she'll calm down very soon for you guys.

7. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Re: Debbie Feeling a Bit Better

Hello Julie, Sienne and All,

Thanks for the replies. Debbie seems a little calmer today. Phewww! We got the Feliway and have been running it since last night. Debbie is no longer hissing at us when we approach her. She came and slept with us last night and is eating better. We have not had any construction going on this weekend, and thank God we only have two days of "construction hell " left! (and we are postponing it until she is better) However we have noticed Debbie walking slowly and she looks achy. Last week the vet thought she may have a bit of arthritis, but I am thinking it is more than just a bit. We will take her in again tomorrow for a checkup and insist on an X Ray. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks from Carol in San Diego!

8. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Jupiter has really bad anxiety but over the past few months is getting a bit better. He takes prozac daily and for long car trips when he would get chemo treatments he would take xanax.

We tried Bach's rescue remedy with Jupiter and it really seemed to help a lot too. Its a natural thing so I recommend it before medicine. We also used this when we took Jupe's sister, Little Rosette to the vet. She normally gets very car sick.... which she still did... but it still went a lot better then usual. So if anyway you can try the rescue remedy, Id say go for it. You can use it longterm any time your kitty is stressed. Its all natural and I usually just put a few drops on my fingers then rub it onto their ears.

Hoping time and the Feliway will help Debbie.

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. so sorry to hear debbie was having such a rough time .. I'm glad the feliaway seems to be helping her .. poor baby .. give her scritches from us, when you can!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.