Debra and Yoyo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra and Yoyo, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My name is Debra and my cats name is Yoyo. Yo has recently been diagnosd with diabetes and I am learning how to use the BG monitor. This is all very over whelming to me and I am trying to learn everything that I can to help Yo manage his glucose levels. He has not yet started insulin. This will be happening on Monday or Tuesday.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Debra and Yoyo and welcome to the fdmb..:)
    That is great you are starting to test the BSLs. If you could set up a spreadsheet and add all the BSL readings you are doing that would be very helpful. Here is the link. If you have any trouble, just post and someone will help you.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Then if you could set up your signature with helpful information, it will mean we all don't have to ask you the same questions over and again. To set up the signature go up to the right top corner of this page and click on your user name. Then click on signature. Write in yours and Yoyos name. Date of diagnosis, type of meter, type of insulin ( when you have it), any other health problems and medications, weight of Yoyo, and country where you live and type of food fed.
    What type of food are you feeding Yoyo? We recommend feeding low carb 10% or under WET/CANNED food. Dry food is too high in carbs and should not be given. Here is a link to suitable foods. If you can swap over to the low carb food BEFORE you start the insulin it is easier. Not sure where you live so I'll give you them all.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/links-to-food-charts.174182/

When you go back to the vet, if possible ask for either Lantus, Levemir or Prozinc insulin. These are all longer acting and gentler insulins and very suitable for cats. The Normal starting dose of insulin is usually around 1 to 1.5 units of insulin, depending on the weight of the cat.

When you have set up the signature and SS, come on over to the main forum and ask lots of questions ...it is a steep learning curve in the beginning, but you have come to the best place to get help and support. It is a wonderful caring community here. Here is the link to the main forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    Bron

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome Yoyo and Debra!

5. Debra and Yoyo

6. Debra and Yoyo