Decrease criteria for human vs pet meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Socks, Feb 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

I've been using an AlphaTrak, but I'm attempting to switch to my human meter full time. Previously I was told to decrease the dose when I get a reading below 90. Is the decrease number the same for a human meter? I've heard that it's 90 for either, but I also remember seeing someone say it's 80 for a human meter. I tried searching for the answer but can't seem to find it yet.

Thanks for any info!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, you would decrease if you see a below 90 regardless of the meter type. We don't have a way to convert pet meter to human meter numbers. They are relatively close at lower numbers from comparisons people have done. Those same comparisons have shown there isn't a reliable way to convert from one to the other, so we just use the 90 at face value. It makes following the dosing methods easier for you too.

putus_human and Deb & Wink like this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Using your own BG ranges on the SS is going to cause complications for anyone looking at your SS and trying to help you with the dosing.

You may want to rethink that.
    Standardization in the color coding is for a good reason.

@Wendy&Neko

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Absolutely agree with that. After looking at spreadsheets for 8 years, my brain is hard wired to look at colours, as is any one else who has looked at more than a couple of spreadsheets. If you ever want help on dosing, you won't get it with a custom coloured spreadsheet. If you want to use a different colour blue for 121-199, that would work, as long as it's blue. We also "talk" in terms of colours. Yellow should still be 200-299, pink 300-399, etc.

There are often patterns in blood sugar numbers, that extend over several cycles. The colours help us see those patterns.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.