Decreasing dose when close to 200 BG?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I have a quick question about the dose Ziggy's currently receiving in light of his blood sugars today. Ziggy's had very low numbers today and he's been active and playful, but he hasn't been eating a whole lot because he doesn't seem to like his food much anymore. His AM +10 test just now was 156mg/dl, and I feel like he'll be close to 200 by the time we reach his PM shot.

His 4.5U dose is bringing him to very low numbers (lowest today was 55!). I'm wondering when I should consider reducing his dose? I'm afraid that if he gives me a 220 reading, for example, that giving him the full 4.5 will bring him to hypoglycemic levels. I will not give him a shot if he's lower than 200.

Any advice? I have been giving him small portions of his food via spoon to get some food in his tummy, which he seems to like, but he definitely hasn't been eating his full meals lately. He scarfs down anything that isn't his wet food. I'm reluctant to change the type of food he gets because I don't want to change too many variables in his treatment.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

So his pre-PM shot number is 298. Considering how low he went today, is 4.5U too much? I’m going to give him his shot in about fifteen minutes so any help would be appreciated.

I should probably mention that he ate just a few bites of his supper just now and he’s done. He is not interested in any more food.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. Tracey&Jones

Tracey&Jones Well-Known Member

I don't use vetsulin but I can bump your thread.

4. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Thank you!

I just realized, looking at the syringes more closely, that I’ve been mis-dosing Ziggy these past three shots — I’ve been giving him 5U instead of 4.5U.

I gave him 4.5U just now after spoon-feeding him his food. He ate about a third of a can total.

I’ll be monitoring him closely tonight for signs of hypoglycemia.

5. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

So my vet recommended a month ago that I give Ziggy 2.0U to keep him within a 200-250 range. Right now he's at 236 and he's been receiving 4.5U. On average, his blood sugars have really dropped a lot in the past week. I'm wondering if I should start possibly decreasing his dose over time? I'm worried that he'll start to go hypo if I keep on with his current dose. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I'm going to administer 4.25U this evening and monitor him closely for hypo symptoms.

He also will not eat unless I'm there to supervise him, which means he isn't really touching his food much during the day while I'm gone. He's lost a bit of weight over the past week.

6. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Ziggy's got some really nice blues and totally acceptable greens lately. I'd keep any reductions fairly small. Since he isn't eating well you'll have to judge how much that is affecting his numbers. Hopefully he will get a regular appetite back and that will make it easier to predict what's going to happen during his cycle.

Natalie and Ziggy likes this.
  7. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Well, he refused his automatically-fed food throughout the night and barely touched his favorite food this morning, but his sugars were on the higher end. I suspect that the stress of being hungry tends to inflate his numbers a bit.

I would switch him back to the seafood flavors if I could, but after a while they started to make him vomit.

I should also say that it’s only his wet food he doesn’t like anymore. He still loves his treats and the little bits of ham I give him after his shots, and loves licking the liquid out of the empty cat food cans. He’s also very active and playful and hasn’t been this energetic and lively since his diagnosis. He’s been doing so well — he just needs to eat (and stop biting during his shots.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 8:18 AM
  8. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Ziggy is at 207 this morning! I’m not sure if I should give him a shot or not, and at what dose if so?? I think I’ll test again in half an hour (he won’t eat in the meantime) just to be sure.

9. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

After 20 minutes with no food, he’s at 226. I’m scared to give him his regular dose, or even a slightly reduced one.

He’s totally bored of his food. He’s not eating from the feeder anymore and I have to force him to eat before his shots. He’ll scarf everything else down in seconds. He wakes me up at 3am every morning begging for food and it’s driving me nuts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 6:16 AM
  10. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I gave him 4.25 this morning and I will hope for the best. I tried to put some of his favorite chicken in his food, but he would not eat it unless I took it out. I’m getting ready for work and he’s begging for food with two full bowls lying right in front of him.

I wish I could work from home today to monitor him, but my computer upgrades haven’t come in yet.

EDIT: I’m taking a risk and giving him the seafood flavor that made him sick a while back. He just scarfed down half a can!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:04 AM