deedee and Clarence the kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dee Dee C, Jun 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Good day to everyone in FDMB,
    My name is deedee, and my 13 year old (neutered male) cat, Clarence, was diagnosed on June 6. Clarence currently weighs about 13 lbs., which is low for him.
    A bit of the back-story: I noticed in late April/early May that he was drinking excessively and I quikly learned where all that water was going when I'd clean his litter boxes (he has 2). I kept my eye on him for a time (due to alot of other things going on with my dogs, didn't take him to the vet right away). At one point it seemed to ease up, but shortly after having my beloved 13 year old lab mix put down, I noticed that Clarence had lost more than just his winter-weight and didn't seem to want to eat. I switched him from dry food to fancy feast, and he started to pick up a bit. I began to wonder if he could be diabetic. I got an appointment at the vet and started doing research on feline diabetes. The more I researched, the more I was convinced he had diabetes. The results of the vet's senior panel on him confirmed my suspisions.
    He went in for curve testing on June 11 and came home on June 13. He is on Vetsulin, 1.5 units 2x a day (12 hrs) and goes back for a 4 hr and 6 hr blood test this coming week.
    On behalf of Clarence and myself, thanks to all the folks out here that make this site possible and offer support for everyone dealing with all that goes along with a diabetic kitty.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB DeeDee and Clarence. So sorry you need to be here but glad you found us. You've come to the right place to get all the help and support you want or need to get and keep Clarence happy and healthy. Good job switching Clarence to a wet diet. You've already accomplished one change so many of us struggle with.

Please join us over on the Health Forum HERE with any and all questions you might have. We are here to help in any way we can.

3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Welcome to a fabulous community. The folks here are wonderful and there is a wealth of knowledge. You have taken a great step on the journey of FD and I'm sure your experience here will be as fantastic as ours.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome DeeDee and Clarence.

5. Carolee

Carolee Member

Hello My name is Carolee and my cat's name is also Clarance. I had been on the website since 2017 but fell off with school and other things going on in my life.My cat Clarance is still off the insulin but I worry that what I am doing may not be the healthiest for him. His sugars are on the lower side of the spectrum and he has lost alot of weight but I feed him between 9 and 12oz of wet cat food daily. he uses the liter box and plays with his toys but i feel that I may be putting him in ketosis because of his body weight and muscle mass loss. Any suggestions?

6. Carolee

Carolee Member

He gets fancy feast and friskies wet cat food pate.Also some scrambled eggs and pork and chicken meat.

7. Idjit's mom

@Carolee
    Carolee, I saw your reply to DeeDee and Clarences's initial Hello post.
    I would like you to post out in the Main Forum for some input and advice. First, your report of the BG in lower end of the spectrum isn't telling us much. Are you testing him? How often and what are the numbers? Your spreadsheet doesn't reflect any tests since April 2017.
    If he's losing weight, that is a red flag and losing muscle mass isn't a good sign either. Get some Ketostix at the pharmacy and test his urine.
    Come on over to the Main Health forum after copying your post here, start a new thread there and paste the message, the plus the additional information, and what you are feeding him.

8. Carolee

Carolee Member

I feed him Friskies pate and fancy feast.

9. Carolee

Carolee Member

I will be purchasing gluecose sticks oin the am and keotone sticks also. I have another cat also on friskies and fancy feast I took him off of dry food when Claraence went off back in March of 2017.

10. Idjit's mom

Do you mean ReliOn Prime blood sugar testing strips, as well as the Ketostix? You might also replace the battery in the meter, while you are shopping. We are kind of hijacking Deedee and Clarence's post. Let's take our conversation to the Main Health forum, ok?

11. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hey Dee Dee C! Welcome to the FDMB! I'm a pretty new member too, and this board is filled with wonderful people who have gone above and beyond in more ways I can think of to help and support my Kyo and myself. At first I thought this was craziness and I was overwhelmed with the wealth of information on this site, but I just took it a day at a time and was surprised at how fast I started to learn and its been so rewarding to see the results in my own sugar kitty! Looking forward to seeing future updates from you and Clarence! :cat: And don't be afraid to ask questions!

Dee Dee C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.