Dental care

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Clarissa, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Hello, anyone have advice on how to care for my cat’s teeth? I switched Presto’s diet to canned food (friskes pate) about 3 months ago and he’s doing fine but I’ve been having a hard time trying to brush his teeth daily. Is there another alternative to clean his teeth? I feel like whenever I brush his teeth, I can’t seem to clean it well enough than I’d like to. Thanks

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

One of the best things you can do is get them to chew on chicken wings, turkey necks, gizzards, hearts.

The act of "gnawing" and scraping against bone and fibrous tissue helps keep the teeth clean (which is why wild cats have shiny white teeth!)

You can also use bigger "chunks" of raw meat...it's the act of "gnawing" that helps.

One thing though....you need to start with a clean set of teeth first....it can't remove old tarter. Only a good dental cleaning can do that.

Clarissa likes this.
  3. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

How often would I give the raw meat to clean their teeth? Would it count as one of their meals?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd use it more as a treat....a couple times a week or so

Clarissa likes this.
  5. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.