? Dental cleaning for Kit. Is a dental issue hindering progress?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JOJI and Kit, May 19, 2020.

1. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. JOJI and Kit

hmmm, changed the prev link title on native thread and the permalink w title embedded still links back .... not sure if that's a feature, a bug, or my cache tricking me. anyway, lmk. ^jw

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Kit still isn't doing well on her insulin.
    You should see SOME movement in the BG levels by tomorrow night 5/20/20 I'd think.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  4. JOJI and Kit

hope so. we have a fresh vial of prozinc that we'll start in the morning.
    to say we are at a loss would be an understatement ...
    ^jw

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. JOJI and Kit

20 may 2020

312 AMPS pink
    325 @2 pink
    310 @4 pink
    285 @6 yellow
    248 @7.5 yellow
    266 @9.5 yellow
    234 PMPS yellow

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Yellow, sunny yellow, we love yellow better than PINK!

With that string of yellows, Kit may be breaking the bounce. Be sure to test at +2 tonight, to see if her BG levels are going to take a dive, dive, dive to the blues and greens. To be on the safe side, test please.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  7. JOJI and Kit

We are going to discuss a teeth cleaning with our vet. Kit is 6 and has never had dental work. Her BG numbers have been consistently high even with increased dosages and we are looking at what could be underlying. Any inputs greatly appreciated!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

Brady has a little tartar on his teeth, I too asked my vet about it.....She wasn't very concerned about his teeth at this point...She said she didn't want to use anesthesia on him for something that didnt really need to be done. She said if his teeth were really bad or she felt that its hurting his care, that would be another story, but didnt feel it was worth the risks of putting him under for teeth cleaning....Thats just my vet and at this stage I have to trust her.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

I see Kit is as bouncy as ever.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  10. JOJI and Kit

Hi Deb. Too high, for too long. We just picked up a vial of Lantus and plan to switch to it in the morning. Our vet wants us to start with 1 unit (she's up to 4 Prozinc) but from everything we've read here suggests it's not necessary to go back to the beginning. Feeling pretty stressed about it. :nailbiting: ALSO- we tried to get a 3ml Solostar pen but the Walmart Pharmacy doc said she didn't think it was a good idea to use a syringe with it because of a contamination possibility. We ended up with a 10 ml vial.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Deb & Wink and Irish Pat like this.
  11. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

You got this no matter which way you decide to go, maybe split the difference and try 2U...Im really curious to see how Kit does on Lantus, praying all goes well

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Hundreds of members here have successfully used a syringe with the insulin pens. Pharmacy person doesn't know what they are talking about. There is no more risk of contamination with the pen then there is with the vial. You wash your hands before you handle the goods (insulin & syringes), and you are fine.

You do NOT want to start over with 1U, IMHO.
    Doing that would be a real setback for Kit, and it will take you months to get back to where you are now.
    Kit is not a newly diagnosed diabetic cat. You take the current dose into consideration when you switch insulins.
    Usually you give the same dose with a switch from Prozinc to Lantus.
    If you are uncomfortable with that, you could reduce the dose by 0.5U at most.
    So Kit's starting dose on lantus would be 3.5U.

You DO want to monitor closely for the first 3-5 days, as the insulin depot builds.
    It takes time to see the full effect of using lantus as the depot builds, and to see the effects of dose changes.
    It's like steering a huge cruise ship (depot type insulin), instead of a speedboat (in-and-out insulin).
    No depot with Prozinc, so no need to reduce the dose because of some sort of carryover effect of the Prozinc.
    You can start up the lantus on the very next cycle.
    Good idea to start a new insulin on a stretch where you can monitor more the first week or so.

You'll want to post in the lantus forum, if you haven't started doing that already.

You are not new to hometesting. Kit is already on a low carb food, You know how to monitor the cycles. You know how to stall and so much more.
    A 1U dose is the standard dose for a newly diagnosed diabetic cat, and their inexperienced caregiver(s).

But you are not inexperienced.
    What was your vet's reasoning for starting Kit back at square one? What did they base the dose on?

Irish Pat and JOJI and Kit like this.
  13. JOJI and Kit

Hi Deb, Thanks, we've missed you! :bighug: Have you ever heard of a cat having a reaction to a new insulin? That was our vet's concern and why she wanted us to start back at 1 unit. She'd also conferred with an internist who supported this method. She said that if in 48 hours the numbers remain high then we should increase. We did stress to her all of the points you made about having lots of data and practice at this but she held firm. So frustrating.

As for the Solostar pen contamination theory, by the time we got to that, I'd had enough back and forth with the vet and the pharmacy and just went with the 10 ml vial. The pharmacist did apply a coupon which made it less painful. Joji

14. Deb & Wink

No, I've never heard of a cat having a reaction to a new insulin. But I haven't been here all that long. I suppose some type of reaction is possible. What sort of reaction was your vet talking about?

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  15. JOJI and Kit

didn’t give a technical description. said something along the lines of “strong”
    and sorry for the tagged reply. @Deb & Wink
    mobile interface isn’t supporting a quoted reply.

16. Deb & Wink

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  17. JOJI and Kit

18. JOJI and Kit

Deb & Wink likes this.