? Dental Cleaning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melissa24, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa24

Melissa24 Member

Good morning! After Callie's bout with pancreatitis in July, my vet told me that she needed a dental cleaning but we should wait to make sure she was completely healed from the pancreatitis. She got her sugarcat DX on 11/24 but has not yet had her cleaning. I have read that dental problems can risk a cat coming out of remission and I am wondering if it could be currently impacting her. What are your thoughts on when would be a good time to do the cleaning? Does it matter that we are 1.5 weeks in on insulin? Should I give it a little time or do it sooner? I speak with my vet next Monday and want to touch base with her about it but would like any thoughts or input you all may have. Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I believe there is a post on dentals under the FAQs that may be helpful.

Sooner will be better than later. It is often OK if she isn't perfectly regulated, so long as she doesn't have anything else going on besides the dental - no pancreatitis, no DKA, no respiratory, etc.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is up to the vet's experience at to how "stable/regulated" a cat has to be be placed under anesthesia. It also depends upon how bad a dental is needed. If severe, like a dental abscess, less regulation is typically required.

4. Melissa24

Melissa24 Member

Thank you for the info!

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.