Dental Costs - Cdn. Prices

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dana & Lily (GA), Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

I understand that the prices for dentals is considerably cheaper in the States (not sure why), so I am looking for input from any Canadians that are looking into booking or have had one done in the past for their cats.

I got a rough estimate for what costs would be WITHOUT extractions and it was over $700. An extraction would cost $92/10 minutes. Depending on how many roots a tooth would have (1-4 roots, I believe)....it is about 10 mins per root....so, those costs really add up. I was told that it could even go as high as $1500-$3000! nailbite_smile

I am just panicking on what the final tally would be to take Purrcilla in. I noticed that one of her teeth sort of looks a little greyish...so am wondering it that means a cavity. I was told that she had some possible FOIRLs, so I assume that means cavities...right?

Anyways, I am feeling stressed about it. Growing up, we never took our cats for dentals and they were fine. Is this necessary?

2. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

Hi Dana,

I took Jolly in for a dental about 3 years ago. She got all her teeth cleaned and ended up getting 4 teeth extracted (dead at roots). Anyways the final bill came to $806 cad.
    The vet stronly urged that she get it done to make her feel more comfortable and would possibly even help with the diabetes. I'm glad I did it.
    I was able to pay half the bill up front and make easy monthly payments for the balance.
    Í hope this helps a little.
    Good luck.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

In order to allow a useful comparison you need to know if the estimate/price includes the following (all assuming no extractions):
    1. Are IV fluids being administered.
    2. What monitoring is being performed - pulse-Ox is minimum but sometimes blood pressure and/or ECG is also done.
    3. Is pre-dental blood work included.

If extractions included does price include pain meds and antibiotics, include follow-up vet visit

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Just following up on Larry's post - look at the post on dental started by Peterdevonmocha and in it, I list the detailed estimate for Maui's dental. It includes not only prices (US of course) but all the things being done or given.

Maybe that will help when you get the details of what's included for C$800+

5. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

The estimate lists this:

Complete Blood Count (CBC) with Diff................$71.80
    Biochemical Profile, Comprehensive..................$51.20
    Blood Collection..........................................$28.15
    Urinalysis, Complete....................................$65.39
    Cystocentesis............................................$43.46
    Anesthesia, Induction w in-dwelling cath............$154.11
    IV Fluids During Surgery................................$23.29
    Dental examination (includes charting)..............$25.34
    Fel. Dental Prophylaxis/Polish (standard)...........$92.14
    Radiograph, Dental, with interpretation.............$47.14
    Radiograph, Dental (additional) - Qty 3.............$77.98
    No Charge Nail Trim....................................$0.00
    Tax......................................................$34.00
    TOTAL.................................................$714.00

NOT included in this is are the following that were handwritten when she was explaining it all to me at the time of the estimate (August)
    extraction price of $92.00/root/per 10 minutes
    each addition 10 mins of anethesia....$52.00
    surgical (not sure what she was referring to)....$30.70
    dental block $48.00

6. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Mia needs a dental, too, so I'll check prices tomorrow when I bring Astrophe in.

Remember that February is dental month, across Canada and the US - you usually save 15% so check on that, too!

7. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

yup...dental health month it is......that is why I'm looking into it. My vet gives 20% off the dental stuff, but that doesn't include the blood work stuff. The cost is still big...even with 20% off though.

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

we recently paid about $1000k for Squeak to have a canine removed and I think another molar...included xrays, blood pressure, etc.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The only think I see that is possibly missing is monitoring during the dental. Minimum should be a Pulse-Ox monitor, Ask if this is included in this line item:"Anesthesia, Induction w in-dwelling cath............$154.11". Otherwise, all standard stuff is included.

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

wow, that's quite a deal on the nail trim thou!

My vet here in Ontario quoted me $500+ depending on what may be needed....still saving loonies for that.

Wish we could put our kitties in our dental plan.

11. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I asked my vet today and a routine dental (without extractions) is $350 plus tax. That includes BP monitoring, fluids, cleaning, etc.

Gotta start saving my pennies...

12. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

I like your estimate way better than mine! $350 is feasible........upwards of $1000 (if there are any extractions) is really tough to swallow! ohmygod_smile

13. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

I'm also worried as Purrcilla is 9.5 yrs old.......is it worth the risk having her put under for a dental? I would be horrified if something bad happened to her. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

14. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Squeak is 13 and still gets dentals, AND he's at big risk because he doesn't respond well to opiates (almost died years ago), and routinely gives our vet and her techs heart attacks.

So yes, I think it is worth it. 9.5 isn't old, and bad oral health is an avenue to a whole host of other issues. Just go in with a sound game plan.

Jen

15. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

mine are coming up on 10 years old,,,,I'm not concerned about the age at all
    I think as long as you are fully prepared with all notes, questions, this and that and keep a positive frame of mind (easier said than done I know)

either way, the longer u wait and if it's really necessary to treat, well, it could get complicated, therefore more expensive, not to mention unhealthy for the cat.

16. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

Good points, thanks Jen & Ronnie.

I've booked her a dental for Friday, Feb. 19th (coincides with my pay day). Wish us luck. I am really nervous about it...both for stressing Cilla out and for the final cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.