? Dental question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erika&Harrycat, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erika&Harrycat

Erika&Harrycat Member

Hello!
    When I went to the vet after I found out my cat had diabetes, my vet noticed that Harry had two decayed teeth and told me that they needed to be removed once he's regulated. Well, Harry is on the OTJ trial and I'm afraid that if he does become OTJ and I take him to remove his teeth that he will relapse. Is there a chance that, that could happen?
    Thanks!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Actually, getting a complete dental done will probably keep him OTJ

Infection/inflammation from dental issues is one of the main reasons for cats coming out of remission

SpecklesandMe and granadilla like this.
  3. Erika&Harrycat

Erika&Harrycat Member

Good to know!! I'll have to set up that apt soon!

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi, Bubba recently had dental done, with two decayed teeth extracted. He was not regulated when I took him (9/17) because I felt like he was having pain which would keep his numbers higher. He is actually doing better with his numbers coming down on a lower dose......for whatever that is worth. But, I do certainly understand your concern. And Congratulations with him OTJ!!

granadilla likes this.
  5. Erika&Harrycat

Erika&Harrycat Member

Thank you! As soon as I'm done ( I hope) with his trial I'll take him in. I think they may have been bothering him for quite a while. :nailbiting:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

CONGRATS!!! Rudy had major dental- 7 decaying teeth removed in Feb., switched insulin in May, and became OTJ in July! all good things :) Good luck and post any questions about dental procedures if you are nervous- I was....lol

7. Erika&Harrycat

Erika&Harrycat Member

Thanks! All your responses make me super hopeful. Wow! 7 teeth? Crazy! Congrats on his OTJ!!!

8. Bobbie And Bubba

What insulin was Rudy on prior to the switch?

9. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

he started on prozinc and went to lantus

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks!

11. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@Erika&Harrycat CJ is OTJ and had a dental a few weeks ago. She had an infected tooth extracted. She did have a bad reaction to a pain med after her dental but hasn't relapsed.
    It's a good idea to ask your vet what pain meds and/or antibiotics will be given beforehand especially if your cat has had a reaction in the past or has other medical issues.

12. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

We had Blitzen's dental lasts month .....he too is OTJ. The only advise I can give is to know is don't be surprised if the BG goes up from the stress, he had one tooth removed. Blitzen BG was in the 400 but quickly came down and was back to normal the next day.
    I would definitely have them removed if there bad just for comfort reasons alone.

Good luck....keep us posted.

Karen & Rudy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.