Dental Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dodgingwrenches, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

I'm thinking of getting my kitties a dental. I have three cats, and two of them could probalby use a check-up (one is just a year old, so can probably wait a bit). One of them is my diabetic Heart (6 years old, never had one). Should I wait until he is regulated? And if I book him for a dental, what should I make sure the vet does or doesn't do? My vet doesn't seem to be the most knowledgable when it comes to diabetes - I've basically decided to completely ignore his instructions. But, he's reasonably priced so I would like him to give the dental, especially since two of mine need it.

Thanks,

Sophia

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Good dental health makes regulation easier, not the other way around!

First you should have a general assessment done of their mouths...

Then, for any with problems, cats should have a pre-anaesthesia blood workup done to determine whether they are in good enough shape. You should ask about this, and what the vet's procedure is for dentals. Do they insert catheters and give fluids? Do they use blood pressure monitors and possible pulse oximeters? What anesthesia do they use? Do they use pain meds and under what circumstances and what types? Do they give antibiotics and under what conditions and which ones?

These questions and more can be found in the petdiabetes wikipedia I believe...just search this site for 'dental' info

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.