Dental Treats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by milosmommy, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Milo is day 233 OTJ. He had his dental today. The vet wants him to use dental treats. I didn't purchase any because I wanted to ask here about them. I searched and found different info...raw food and the C.E.T. brand. I was interested in the C.E.T. poultry BUT am so scared any change will increase his glucose which is normally 55-65 with just the Fancy Feast and the occasional Purina Party Mix treats (yes I know those are not LOW CARB!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The CET poultry dental treats seem low carb:

http://www.virbacvet.com/cet/product/ce ... oultry/31/
    Freeze-dried fish, poultry digest, dextrose, antioxidants (containing tocopherols, ascorbic acid, natural flavor and citric acid), glucose oxidase (Aspergillus niger), dried whey protein concentrate.

There's a fish treat, too.

IMO, dental treats don't work well. Many cats just crunch the treat once and swallow the pieces whole.

Is teeth brushing an option? That will help keep your cat's teeth clean and healthy, much like how Human brush their teeth daily. CET has toothpastes and toothbrushes. The poultry toothpaste is popular. Here's a video of how to brush your cat's teeth: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/f ... hing_teeth

Some people give raw chicken or turkey necks for the cat to gnaw on and supposedly the gnawing action helps clean the teeth. I've never tried raw poultry necks.

3. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Thanks! I am going to just try the poultry and if I notice a difference in glucose will stop right away. I wish he'd let me brush. I have tried before and he was NOT cooperative!

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I used the CET dental treats for Angus. I did not notice any difference in his BG. There is a small amount of dextrose (sugar) in them, but it didn't seem to be enough to cause any BG change.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

how about good old fashioned brushing the teeth? and the second best thing to that is chunks of raw meat for kitty to gnaw on. Believe there is something on general health about it.

6. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

I ordered the CET treats in chicken flavor and they arrived yesterday. Milo LOVES them! I haven't noticed a difference in glucose. Yesterday he was within his 'normal' range which was 53.

Brushing is not an option. I tried that one time and he hated it so bad! Not worth the stress on either of us. Will keep trying these. Since the cleaning at vet it is nice having a kitty with fresh breath!

Thanks again everyone. Milo and I owe you so much...the advice here is indispensable. If I hadn't found this board and tried the advice given here on home testing and getting rid of the prescription diabetic dry food I don't know where we'd be. To go from 500+ to a range in the 50's -60's and high of 70 without insulin is something I didn't think possible...and neither did my vet who is now a believer!

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.