? Derek’s SS, need advise on dosage…

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JohnZ, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

I skipped another dose this afternoon due to a low (118) reading...

Could someone please look at Derek’s SS… trying to see a pattern in the numbers here…

I’m not always around to test mid-cycle (away at work) and want to be sure Derek is safe...

Thinking maybe I should reduce the dose to .5, although he’s also showing some high numbers...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

You might want to post this on the Lantus and Levemire forum. There are some people over there who really know their stuff with Lantus.

3. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks- may do that a bit later- thought I'd try here first... :):cat:

4. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

OK- need to retire for the evening- need to get up at 1 am for work... and to test and give Derek his insulin... still not sure if I should go with a reduced dosage... I'm sure his numbers will be high in the morning due to the skipped dose... so it probably doesn't matter... trying to get a feel for what to do going forward...?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

In the future, if you get a Pre-shot you're not sure about, try to remember to stall, DON'T FEED and retest in 20-30 minutes....if the number goes up, then the insulin is probably wearing off and it's going to be safe to shoot the scheduled amount

Anytime you shoot a lower PS than you've shot before, it's always a good idea to get a +1 and +2 just so if you need to intervene, you can do it earlier in the cycle to keep him safe

6. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

I have a keyboard now, so I can type! Yay! You've skipped a lot of shots, which really isn't a good thing. Lantus works best with a consistent dose given consistently twice a day. Experienced members will often shoot anything above a 50 on a human meter. I wouldn't recommend do that until you have experience people here to walk you through the first few times you shoot low. Your first stop would be to go over to the L&L forum and read all the stickies at the top. That will give you excellent information. From there, you can post on that board, and people will help you get up and running. You can do this and keep Derek safe, even while you are working. It takes time to get the hang of it, but then it becomes like second nature.

7. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thank You :):cat:

Me bad- I actually got a retest in about 30 minutes after the pre-shot- but forgot to enter it (it’s now entered) - sorry about that- it was 10 points higher than the pre-shot- still didn’t shoot due to the low number and not wanting to throw of the schedule (by stalling) for Derek’s next shot.

By the way- his pre-shot this morning was 465... didn’t reduce the dosage.

I’m going to also post on the Lantus forum (as suggested).

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.