? Diabetes and CKD - CBD oil?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jkminn, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkminn

jkminn Member

Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I've posted. Bemmer has been diagnosed with CKD stage 2 and we are getting into the swing of things with 100 mL of sub-q's daily, 1/4 of a cerenia pill every other day and his regular insulin dose. He has been on cerenia before where he was taking a 1/4 of a pill everyday and it helped him eat like it is now, but both times he has gotten constipated. The vet told me that I can use it as needed, so I'm thinking of lowering to maybe 1/4 every 3 days.... I read that it only last 24 hours anyway but I think him getting it in general throughout the week is helpful and better than nothing. Previously the vet has told me if constipated use miralax, but I have 2 other cats and because Bemmer is finicky right now he won't get the full 1/4th of a teaspoon since he doesn't finish his food... I'd also honestly prefer not to use miralax if I can fix the cerenia side effect.

I was curious to know if anyone has tried cannabis oil as an appetite stimulant/nausea-vomit repressor instead of using pills like cerenia? I don't think he is in pain, but I've read reviews about it helping with appetite and nausea, and there aren't constipation side effects. He is a senior with health ailments so I'm not expecting him to be more active, but I think it could maybe help make him more lively; he's in his bed a lot as of lately....

Thank you :)
    Karlee

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, it's used by a number of people. @Djamila is one.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm a big fan of CBD for pain, nausea and appetite. I wouldn't expect it to necessarily make him more lively though. It seems to have more of a calming effect on both of my cats.

If you are in a state with legalized cannabis, you can go to your local shop/dispensary and get something there. If not, Charlotte's Web is used by many folks for their cats. It comes in three different strengths so you can decide what you think will be best for your Beemer.

Make sure that whatever you get is free of any additives or sugars. You want it as simple and flavor-less as possible. I'm noticing up here in Seattle that more and more tinctures are coming in flavors like mint or mango. You don't want anything like that.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. jkminn

jkminn Member

ok awesome thank you. Do you have recommendations for oils? Pretty sure Florida is only medically legal so I think I would need a prescription, but if my vet can't I will order charlottes web and try it.

5. Djamila

CBD is legal in all 50 states, so you shouldn't have any problem ordering it online. The one that I use is from a local producer and isn't sold anywhere else, so CW is the one that I've read the most about as a reliable source that's widely available. My cat has chronic pancreatitis and a number of people in the pancreatitis groups use that one with good effect.

mirnta likes this.
  6. jkminn

jkminn Member

Ah I see hahaha that's good though.... it's very expensive :0 I'm on the pancreatitis group and cbd oil threads and I'm going to read about other options :rolleyes: so excited not a fan of cerenia. Thank you guys so much!

7. Djamila

It is expensive, but it lasts a looooong time since cats use such small doses. I would imagine that if you post in a panc group and ask for a less expensive option, someone might have ideas for you on that. It is expensive. :confused:

8. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Hi Karlee, if you don't mind, could you share what you find out from the panc group? I've always been loosely considering it but just don't know where to start!

9. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I buy from cbdMD. I get the highest potency so it reduces the cost per dose, and then use a 1ml syringe to dose it. It makes dosing easier since you don’t have to squirt a whole dropper of liquid into kitty’s mouth, just 0.1 or 0.2ml.

10. Djamila

There is another thread out here on the Main forum about this too if you want to take a peek at that.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  11. jkminn

jkminn Member

lol there are so many threads omg...
    Thanks sportsmom I saw you posted about it in a different thread. I have it open with my 25 other tabs :D

Also Crista, I am probably the last person to ask because I don't know a whole lot but here is the link for an FDMB thread with various options:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hemp-oil-for-cats.184837/

Heres a reddit thread I found that also includes Char. Web with other recommendations:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cbdinfo/comments/6er5kx/cbd_for_pets/

This seems like a good breakdown for the different kinds of CBD/hemp products you could buy because there are variations based on the strengths I believe:
    https://ministryofhemp.com/blog/cbd-products-pet/

Then this is a facebook link for a group that reviews CBD usage with pets that has been posted on a bunch of other threads and you have to request permission:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/cbdoilforpets/

mirnta and Crista & Ming like this.
  12. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

That was A LOT fo help!!! Thank you :)

13. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

canna pet works well too--it is a teeny capsule
    My Rico get cerenia with no constipation but Dre does get constipated (no cerenia not sure why) we use natural moves by native remedies.
    I don't like mirilax either--chewy has some treats made by inaba they are like sticks with a mouse like texture and easy to mix. Right now is a good sale on them too:)

14. jkminn

jkminn Member

hey guys I bought the CBD oil that SpotsMom suggested but havent really used it... I tried it out like a couple of days ago and gave him 2 drops and I don't know if it was too little or not but I haven't really bothered with it because to me it seemed like he had been eating more even without it because the fluids were helping a lot but I brought Bemmer to the vet today and he's lost 2 lbs this month... He will be on an appetite stimulant for now and I'm going to see how that works and then I am waiting for his bloodwork to come back

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.