Diabetes and Pain? Diabetes and Heart Murmur?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dodgingwrenches, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

Just wondering if there is any correlation between the two pairs here.

I don't know if it's my imagination, or if Heart is much more pain sensitive. This morning, he was on the bed with me (rare that he'll jump up onto the bed nowadays). I brushed him (carefully) and then shoved him over to his side, like I usually do to brush/rub his belly, which he loves, but today he meowed as if in pain when I did that. There are a few other things as well, when I pick him up at times for example he'll meow too as if in discomfort. Normally, he's a super quiet cat.

Also, Heart was diagnosed with a heart murmur the same time as diabetes. Are those two ever linked? He never had the murmur before.

Sophia

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

the vets can often hear a heart murmur when the animal is stressed/sick.

cleo also had a heart murmur when diagnosed with diabetes. it comes and goes but she had a full cardiac exam and testing and her heart turned out perfectly fine. usually they grade the murmur and depending on the grade and other things the vet notices he/she could be monitored further or referred to a cardiologist for further testing.

many diabetic cats get pancreatitis flare ups. your cat may just have not wanted to be touched there but could also have a touch of pancreatitis. diagnosing it isn't always easy. some cats show it in an ultrasound; some show it via an fpli test. we treat pancreatitis with a combo of pain meds (buprenix or buprenorphine), subQ fluids, and pepcid (1/4 tablet pepcid AC or some injectible pepcid). a common symptom with pancreatitis is meatloafing (lying with tail and everything tucked in like a meatloaf pan). some cats vomit, some have higher BG readings, some don't eat as much -- really depends on the cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.