Diabetes and pancreatitis food.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lunae, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunae

lunae New Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm new here and i'm from Spain, a have a cat with diabetes and now pancreatitis, and i have some questions.
    Can he eat the same food he use to eat when he only have diabetes?
    ( He eats cans off Catz finefood, Granatapet, Leonardo, Natures menu...)
    Can he eat this cans? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/my_star/wet/588509
    Also he's eating dry food Farmina Vet life Diabetic, what do you think of this food?
    Is there any other dry food I can buy that is better?
    I'm a little lost in how much food I should eat a day, weighs 4kg
    Thanks for reading me!

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

With pancreatitis the important thing is to keep them eating. Do you have the support meds on hand to help with the flare?

3. lunae

lunae New Member

He eats well now. Medications i have mirtazapina and primperan. Can i give cerenia more than five days?

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Yes, you can give cerenia daily. Also pain medication as pancreatitis is very painfully. Smaller meals spread usually works best and it helps with the acid reflux. Don't be to quick to stop meds, you don't want to backslide just because he had one good day.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would cut out a dry. Cats with pancreatitis are usually put on sub q fluids for hydration.... Dry food would be counterproductive. Just feed the wet.

6. lunae

lunae New Member

My veterinarian sent me buprex for pain, he can take it for three days in a row. So far I have used cerenia injected but I would prefer to use it in pills, would someone do me the favor of putting a photo of cerenia in pills to know how it is? Is that my cat to take medication is very difficult.

As for the food, I know that the wet food is better but when I'm not at home I leave dry food.

7. lunae

lunae New Member

I forgot to say that he is 13 years old. The most important thing at this moment is the food, since I am left without and I have to buy and I do not know if I can eat the cans that I have said or not.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

For most cats food has no influence on cats with pancreatitis but does for dogs and humans. They just need to eat enough so they don’t get fatty liver. You just wouldn’t want a super high fat diet. Cerenia pills need to be cut for cats. It’s a soft pill and tge piece they get is small. . I put all pills in empty gel capsules which are readily available on line and in some health food stores in the states. I don’t know about where you live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.