diabetes causing nausea?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allison and Bubbles, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

My cat bubbles is at the vets right now getting her first glucose curve ...question is (sry i cannot figure out how to do the spreadsheet ) is her new diagnosis of diabetes coinciding possibly with her lack of appetite ?My understanding is that she must eat a certain amt of food to receive any insulin...only one vet out of six she has seen in nine days says her inappetance could be caused by diabetes...I am so scared of what my vets prognosis for her life will be as she barely eats any food at all ( about three tsblespoons of wet food a day!)...her appetite has decreased over a period of one month and she has lost 1 and a half pounds (the reason I took her for geri panel in first place where the vet discovered diabetes)....no pancreatitis...no wretching or vomiting...blood panel normal...slightly enlarged liver and her heart is also slightly enlarged and she has a heart murmur)....she is 17 yrs young...dont want to give up on her but she is not taking to any "force feeding " (who would?)...and I am aware this is a dangerous situation...no ketones in urine...anyone??

2. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

We use baby food at the rescue i volunteer with when we get kitties in who don't want to eat. I think the best type of baby food is the beach nut stage 1 only meats (single ingredient jars). Maybe that will help? I know too that Cerenia is supposed to help with nauseous kitties, has she tried that? or an appetite stimulant?
    I hope you will find something she likes. I know you responded on my post about my finicky eater. Good luck to you!

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  3. allison and Bubbles

do you know the brand name of baby food?i will call around ....I couldnt find any babyfood here at superstore that had only meat...I tried the turkey one with veggies...she ate it only once and lost interest...cerenia caused her to instantly vomit and froth at the mouth so i am afraid to try it a second time as it may be an allergy?

4. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Beechnut ham or beef. Or turkey or chicken. MAke sure no onions or garlic in ingredients.

5. allison and Bubbles

Thanks Sean and Rufus...VERY MUCH for the warning about onions and garlic which didnt dawn on me at all...whoa....

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  6. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Gerber make a turkey without onion I beleive. I think its called 2nd foods?

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  7. allison and Bubbles

I am doing a weird thing tonight...bubbles came home from hospital...her bg went down from 33 to 5.5 in one 12 hr period...a bit dangerously low they said...lantus....shes ho.e now and i wish i could say i am really happy...but she looks sick and depressed...

8. allison and Bubbles

oh sry..the weird thing i am doing is praying...when I have no belief in God or the rainbow bridge....I am too much of a sceptic to believe in these things but interestingly enuf when there is nothing else...you start praying...

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How is Bubbles this AM?

10. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

that's scary!! the mouth frothing may be because she tasted it and i know when they taste something that's bitter sometimes they do that. But better to be safe and you don't want her vomiting any more. So sorry!

11. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

That's super low! Scary. I use lantus and know its more evenly distributed over time into the system. I'm so sorry!

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Link: Suggestions on How to Stimulate Kitty's Appetite

You are measuring blood glucose in mmol/L, right? Most of us here "speak" the US measurements (mg/dL), though we can convert (multiply by 18).

Anyway... 5.5 mmol/L is equivalent to about 99 mg/dL-- so right about the middle of the normal range, 50-120. You're right that that's a big change from 33 (594 mg/dL). That alone might be making bubbles feel lousy-- either the rapid swings or just not being use to "normal" numbers any more after being diabetic for a while. It's not uncommon at all for cats beginning treatment to have this kind of reaction.

That said, there are other possibilities:

1) ketones (esp. when combined with a poor appetite). I'm glad she was negative at the vet, but it's a good idea to be testing at home, too. I'd test daily while the low mood and inappetance are going on-- ketones can develop very very rapidly. You can get urine dipsticks in any human pharmacy, and either dip them in the stream (with a cooperative cat), or collect a bit of pee with a long-handled spoon or, in a pinch, some crumpled plastic wrap in the litter box (you only need a couple drops).

2) reaction to the type of insulin. This isn't all that common, but it does happen. Some insulins just don't "agree with" some cats. I'd give it a few weeks for things to settle down before considering this possibility.

Hope Bubbles is doing a bit better today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.