Diabetes + hyperthyroidism

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary&Maya, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary&Maya

Mary&Maya New Member

Hello all,

My cat, Maya, was just diagnosed on Monday. I previously dealt with a diabetic dog, but gave away his testing supplies after he passed (never thought I'd need them again). I'm going to purchase a meter and check my cat, she's been on insulin for just 2 days (4 shots).

For those who also have hyperthyroid cats. Maya gets methimazole as a cream put into the inside of her ear. Can I prick her ear for blood glucose testing when she's getting this cream? What are my options?

Thanks!

LaraB likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Mary and Meya,

Can't help with whether the methimazole cream might affect BG testing but other members may have more info. If you discover that the cream would affect BG readings you can, as an alternative, use paw pads for testing BG.

There's a recent, brief discussion on comorbid FD and hyper-T in this thread:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/diabetes-and-hyperthyroidism-any-influence.187981/

If you do a forum search for 'hyperthyroid' you might find more info in older threads.

I see from your opening post in the Welcome section that Meya also has mild kidney insufficiency. Many of the kitties here are in the same boat so be sure to post here on Feline Health with any specific questions you may have relating to CKD, etc. BTW, if you haven't already discovered it, Tanya's Site is an invaluable source of information and help for feline CKD.

Mogs

3. LaraB

LaraB Member

My sugarcat, Joshi, was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid two weeks ago, and we’ve been doing the transdermal methimazole. One thing I’ve noticed, when I poke her ears for BG testing, is her blood seems thinner, or less viscous. It seems to spread into her fur quicker rather than “ball up” like before. I’m curious whether this affects the BG readings.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The "thinner" blood would mean that there are less blood cells in the blood compared to the liquid part of the blood. Unless there is significant different in the amount of cells in the blood it will have minimal effect on BG value.
    Do you have the HCT (hematocrit) value from the last blood work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.