? Diabetes, panc, ibd and pred-help input needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole dorsey, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

good evening, looking for ant and all input I can get. My baby Pablo was diagnosed with diabetes from a few high blood glucose and urine test. Regular vet and IM vet both agree starting lantus is the right thing to do. My boy has chronic pancreatitis that seemed to be manageable until mid June or July. He was on prednisolone around this time. Thru also put him on short course of high pred (3x day) in June. Late July he was switched to budesonide. His glucose was always normal or slightly normal until June at which time it started to climb. After the drop in pred from 3 to 1 pill his glucose wasmore normal -195 -225. Since starting budesonide in late July glucose numbers high. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not. He had a good and normal appetite until mid to late June. Around mid to late June appetite ok, and enough to keep his weight relatively the same. Since starting budesonide his appetite has tanked (I attribute to this but not sure if related to glucose increasing as well). Since approx July 27 when transitioned he has little appetite with appetite stimulants (which he has been on for some time). Often times I have to prompt him to eat and in the last few weeks have had to resort to assist feeding about half of the time to make sure he's getting enough. Vet said today wants to start pred if not eating better this weekend along with his insulin meds and stop the budesonide.Thoughts and input really really appreciat

2. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Hi, Nicole--I don't have any advice--I just wanted to say that this sounds so complicated and that I am in awe of your ability to manage all these issues at once! Pablo is a lucky guy!

3. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you, so very kind!

Squeakycats likes this.
  4. Lillie

Lillie Member

It sounds like you have some good input from your vets. Pred along with the insulin may be your best choice if the budesonide is not really working and you need your cat to eat. There are several people here who have cats with pancreatitis along with diabetes and I believe IBD also. Hopefully someone will come in. It's so hard to manage all of this- kudos to you for all your doing for your kitty!

Nicole dorsey likes this.
  5. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you so much for your input, greatly appreciated, and very nice! Do you know of specific people that we can tag or I can reach out to about this? Thank you again!

6. Lillie

Lillie Member

I don't know how to tag certain people here or I would. So sorry- my computer literacy is not all that great. I believe the weekends are a little slow for responses. I believe though that what the vet suggested will be your best bet for getting her to eat.

7. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you so much

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

From your pist it seems as if the budesonide could be the issue. As you vet said maybe try stopping it, if appetite comes back you know that was it. Is bupre an option for pain? Pred might not be the best but if kitty needs it so be it. You will just need to adjust insulin if warranted. Gotta keep them eating.

9. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

That's what I wonder too. Yes he gets bup for pain as needed

10. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

It sounds like you have very reasonable vets, congrats!
    I'd ask them if adding Cerenia, a pet med for vomiting and nausea would help. I hear that combining Cerenia even if no vomiting present together with appy stimulant works well. I hope someone with experience in panc will weigh in shortly! Hang in there!
    @Lillie
    If you know whom to tag please do: I tagged you by typing @ space, started to type Li and then your name appeared in the drop down box. I clicked on your name, and voila - you 've been tagged!:)

11. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

he either gets ondanseteron (spelling) or cerenia, both which he seems to do better without, seems like they cause him less likely to eat. But may try again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.