diabetes suspected

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kalypso, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalypso

kalypso Member

Hello!
    I am Sophia from Greece. A friends 7 year old siamese cat named Lisa had bloodwork that shoed a high blood glucose of 631 mg/dl. My friend is not fluent in English and there is not much information out there in Greek about feline diabetes, so I have been helping her out reading information. The vet didn't seem trustworthy either, as he prescribed insulin based on this single result, without performing a glucose curve, no urine tests, no thyroid test etc. As my friend is looking for a new vet to schedule some more exams, she is also looking for some high quality wet food appropriate for diabetes. I advised her to try granatapet or mac's, which I buy for my cat from zooplus, but she is reluctant to use the internet for shopping. I read a lot of you give ff classic, which is possibly available here under a different name. But I also read some recent bad reviews about their change of formula and how it affected diabeteic cats. Any advice would be welcome!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m glad your friend is looking for a new vet. Tell her she can get a human glucose meter and test her kitty’s blood glucose at home and that will help determine if she’s diabetic along with the vets test of course. I’m not sure what foods are available where you are, but as far as I know Fancy Feast Classics are fine for diabetics. Just not any gravy types. I think there’s a food chart for Europe, @Elizabeth and Bertie has one for the UK, not sure if any of those foods are available to you. Please come to the Main Health Forum and ask any other questions you have.

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sophia. I have a link for UK low carb foods, but maybe @Elizabeth and Bertie may have something different. (I just found this list recently shared in the introductions). I don't know which, if any, of these foods are available in Greece. https://www.foodfurlife.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html#/
    Also, if your friend is interested in preparing raw food at home, Food Fur Life makes an excellent supplement to be added to raw or cooked meats. It's very healthy and perfect for a diabetic cat. It's also very easy to prepare, and the company ships internationally. The product name is EZ Complete, and many members here use it successfully. My cats love it! https://www.foodfurlife.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html#/

4. kalypso

kalypso Member

5. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

That is kind of frightening. I fed my 5 FF up until recently, and there was no problem. I needed to switch to a low phosphorus food because my old calico was dx with kidney disease. They weren't happy, at all, with the switch. But that is scary to read those accounts. I guess everyone needs to make a decision based on their own experiences. If the kitty eats it, enjoys it, and keeps it all down, then I would feel OK about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.