? Diabetes & Urinary issues/ph

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ria, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ria

Ria Member

My cat Argyle was diagnosed about 9 months ago with diabetes. He has a history of urinary blockages. Initially I was giving him Novolin but after months of trying different foods it just wasn't regulating him. I started Lantus the middle of July & also started him on Rad Cat raw. He eats this like a champ. Between the Lantus & this food I can actually see the potential of getting him really well regulated. Here is the issue...if I try to get rid of the urinary s/o all together & only feed raw his ph goes too high. His issue has always been too low but I use a special litter & it is turning purple when I pull the s/o dry & only feed raw. If I keep him on the dry even small amounts his blood sugars are easily in the mid to high 300's on human meter, sometimes higher. Anybody have any experience in this area? I have thought about adding DL-Methionine to his raw food, as supposedly this will keep them from stones & crystals. It is in the urinary foods but I don't know the appropriate amount to dose him either. Thank you for any responses!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The DL-Methionine with acidify (lower pH) the urine. I would try it but increase the amount slowly since if you over acidify the urine oxalate crystals/stones may form in the bladder. Oxalate stones can't be dissolved via making the urine more basic unlike acidifying the urine will prevent/dissolve struvite crystals/stones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.