? Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bug, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bug

Bug New Member

Hello my name is June I have 2 diabetic cats. I was wondering how can a aquire cheaper test stripes. I'm ok with the insulin but the test stripes are very costly.
    Any suggestions?

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there, I use the Walmart Relion Prime. Their strips are only $9/50 as compared to the Relion Micro which is $18/50.

3. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

If you're using an Alphtrak 2 meter, you can use Freestyle LITE strips with it, they're still more spendy than other human strips, but cost half what the AT 2 strips cost.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us here use human meters because of the cost of the strips. The Relion Confirm and Micro from WalMart are very popular because they take the smallest blood sample and the strips are "affordable" (especially compared to the AlphaTrak!) They're $35.88 per 100

The Relion Prime takes a bigger blood sample, but the strips can't be beat at $9 for 50...but we have heard some people having problems with getting error messages so they end up using two or 3 strips per test ...but some have no problems at all with it so it's a chance you have to take

5. Bug

Bug New Member

I live in Canada & use Lantus do you think walmart here would be comparable in price?

6. Chris & China (GA)

Unfortunately, Walmart in Canada doesn't carry the Relion meters at all

One of the good things about living in Canada is you can get your insulin cheaper than those of us in the US, but you pay more for strips! You might want to try looking on Ebay for strips for the meter you're using to see if you can get some better prices

7. Bug

Bug New Member

Wow thanks. I use Lantus insulin with a Contour next meter. I live in canada & I don't know if we have that kind of meter. But my test stripes are $100/ 100

8. Bug

Bug New Member

Thank you so much for your help I will check it out

9. Kiara

Kiara Member

Hi Bug,

This is probably frowned upon here, but I got my strips from a stranger in a parking lot in Scarborough. I found her on Kijiji. The strips were sealed in a box and are fine. I have friends who have done the same. A quick search says you will save about 50% this way. http://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/contour-next/k0l1700272

You may want to try another meter though. The OneTouch Ultra was the last meter I used, and I could get 100 strips for $30 from Kijiji. Now I use the Verio, and I can get 100 strips for $60 on Kijji. Note... I have a big hairy 6'4 boyfriend who comes along with me and we inspect the boxes and know what to look for now. A lot of diabetics are looking to get rid of surplus supplies... worth a shot if you're really in a pinch.

10. Kiara

Kiara Member

(If you buy 100 strips, you can probably get a free new meter from the pharmacy... so investigating which are the cheapest strips you can find might be best, and then go about getting a new meter)

11. Bug

Bug New Member

Thanks so much for the help I will definitely look into it.

12. Chris & China (GA)

We don't frown upon it...especially if you have a big hairy 6'4" boyfriend that goes with you to make sure you're safe!! One of the things we suggest is checking Craigs List but to make sure that you know what to look for when it comes to buying insulin or supplies from strangers. Things like checking expiration dates and learning the "story" behind why they happen to have all that cheap stuff.

Kiara and Squalliesmom like this.
  13. Asrael

Asrael Well-Known Member

Hi Bug-
    I live in BC, and get my strips off of ebay- I can usually get them 1/2 the price of the store price.
    :)

14. Kiara

Kiara Member

Phew... feeling less like a rebel now. My mum is a nurse and she just about peed her pants when I told her I was getting supplies from Craigslist and Kijiji :p She hears horror stories but I just used some common sense.

I really do think there are great deals to be had down those avenues. Keep your eyes peeled.

15. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@Bug where in Canada are you from? If your close to the border you could always slip down to the US & buy a meter & strips from Walmart.

Safeway had a GE meter & the strips were $60 for a box of 100, it's a little cheaper then other strips & you get air miles. The other option is to call around different pharmacies, I found that the pharmasave I deal with sells the Bayer contour next strips for $85 a box but Costco sells them for $70 a box. Sometimes it pays to shop around. Also if you do get your strips from Safeway & collect air miles you could convert your air miles to air miles cash & use that to help cover the cost of the strips. I think it's 90 air miles for $20 air miles cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.