Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phoenix13, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenix13

phoenix13 New Member

Hi, my name is Jen and last April my Phoenix passed due to complications from diabetes. He hung in 2 years with alot of care from me! Anyway now I think my mom's old boy Blackie might also have diabetes. He lost a ton of weight and drinks alot. He also sheds. Now the problem is my grandma watches the cat as mom's always on the road. I know my grandma would not be able to do all the testing and shots, it would be too much and she'd sooner put him to sleep. so far Blackie is ok. What are the main things we can do besides insulin, to keep Blackie healthy ? I know u guys will want shots, but really there is no way and I live 1000 miles away. Thanks for any advise. confused_cat

2. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

What's Blackie's diet like? Changing to low-carb wet food, if that's not what he's already on, might help. If you're lucky, it might do the whole job.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Jen,

So sorry to hear about your extra sweet Phoenix.

And about Blackie. First stop is probably the pet food store to get some low carbohydrate wet food. It doesn't have to be pricey. Some folks here fed Friskie's, which can be low in carbohydrates. Check out the two charts of wet food listed on this page. You are looking for something with 10% or less carbs by calorie, and preferably not with fish as the primary ingredient(s).

A very close second stop is the vet. There are several feline diseases with the symptoms you describe. Blackie needs a definitive diagnosis before your Mom and Grandma make any decisions about his future.

Take care, and let us know how it goes.

Venita

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

At the very least a vet appointment to rule out something else.

My first thought was Hyperthyroidism when you described the symptoms. Shedding made me think of that. Hypert's sometimes over groom. But if you mean dandruff, bad coat, that could be FD. Only blood work would tell you for sure.

5. phoenix13

phoenix13 New Member

what do you suggest as a part of the checkup? Because alot of vets will order so many tests that are very expensive. They are both on a fixed income and only need the relevant tests. he is an indoor cat , so it is no communicable disease.

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Ask the clinic if they have a senior panel they can run. At my clinic, which is a VCA hospital clinic the senior panel includes kidneys, T4 (thyroid) and sugar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.