Diabetic and kidney Problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sophia, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

Greylie is a diet controlled diabetic but now has kidney problems and is eating canned NF kidney food. NF is very high in carbs so I give him half of the diabetic food and the other NF kidney food. Is there a food for kidneys that has less carbs.His sugar at the vets was ober 218 when I test at home it is under 100.

Any ideas would be so appreciated. I want to keep my sweet Greylie as long as I can...Thank you.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Have you checked the posts on the regular health board...Melissa, Popcorn and Sushi have a post about the diet for a diabetic, crf kitty. Holly (and Spader) has a link in her signature too. You want a food low in phosphorous. And can Greylie be given filtered water to drink? That will help her kidneys not to have to process as much.
    http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabe ... ailure.htm
    Here is one of the links...hope it helps!

3. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

Thank you.... I have just read the article you mentioned. I did not give Greylie my soft water anymore but bought the water from the store. Now I will make sure that he gets distilled water. I guess it is OK for Sophia too.. she has hyper-t and is diet controlled diabetic and suffers under constipation.

4. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Hi Sophia. Calliope developed CRF and thyroid issues while in remission. She had constipation, previously as well. I gave her 1/4 t of miralax daily to start and then went to 1/8 t, daily, which helped her. No more constipation, after that. I added plenty of water to her food with the miralax.

She was borderline hyper T, so my vet decided we wouldn't treat that, right away. She told me the hyper t was actually helpful to the CRF because it kept the blood moving in the kidneys or something like that. In any event, the kidney issue was more in the forefront, so we went with that. I changed Calliope's food to the Friskies lower phosphorous flavors. She ate mostly chicken and beef. That was her favorite.

Hope your kitty stays well. oh, and Calliope always had a higher bg at the vet's office. She hated going to the vet! I always took her bg before we went there, so we could compare to make sure it was up due to stress and not something else.

5. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Ask Dr. Lisa (see www.catinfo.org) but as I recall most kidney disorder cats do better on a diabetic diet than diabetic cats would do on a kidney-disorder diet.

Part of the reason is that the baseline cat diet recommended by the vet associations is skewed somewhat toward higher carbs and lower protein already. (Possibly because the pet-food companies have a lot of input into those baseline recommendations, and protein is much more expensive than carbohydrate).

This means that protein is already on the low side for standard cat food and there's no need to lower it. But carbohydrates are generally on the high side so lowering that will help the diabetes and do no harm to the kidneys.

Best,
    Steve and Jock.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Blackie is diabetic and early CRF. We feed Wellness Chicken and Turkey and Merrick Cowboy Cookout. Both are low carb and lower in phosphorus. Check out Janet & Binky's canned food list and try for foods that are low in phosphorus and carbs. We also give a supplement called Renal Essentials and extra potassium. There are some CRF posts on health about once a week that will give you some links to various sites and food help, too.

7. francine and garth

francine and garth Member

Hi sophie,
    Garth was a diet controlled diabetic and a crf kitty, and like you I had to use NF. please remember diabetes can be controlled treat the CRF first, it is worse than the diabetes. but yes you have options in foods. I sued wellness chicken canned and turkey. they were both below 10% carbs and below 55 in fat and low in phos. and magnesium. if you can't use them then your vet can provide you with phosphorus binders to sprinkle on the food it is a white powder they don't know it is there. but keep your calories and food portion the same for diabetes. I also gave Garth sub Q fluids daily, which also help with bg's. what the fluid do is keep the kidneys flushed so they don't have to work hard. not sure if you are using them. I managed his diabetes and CRF up until the day he passed they were both in good ranges it was cancer that took him at 18. hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.