Diabetic cat in remission with new DX of CRF?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Athena and Cyrano, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athena and Cyrano

Athena and Cyrano New Member

Hello! Some will remember us, others won't. Cyrano was DX with diabetes two years and a month ago and with the help of many fine people on this board, especially jojo, Cyrano had his last Lantus shot on 4/18/2008 and has been in remission since.

As for an update on Cyrano, he's doing great as far as remission goes. I've attached his Google spreadsheet in my signature - it goes back to our very beginning. Since going into remission, the highest number I ever got was 77. So we're good there.

I noticed over the past month or so, Cyrano's thirst and urinary output were higher, so I finally found a new vet (hated my other one) and took him in today. He was DX with low grade renal failure. He's low grade at this point, with his BUN @ 50. I'm scared for a whole host of reasons. The big question for me is about food. How do you handle the need for a high protein/low glycemic food to keep the diabetes at bay (or under control) with the CRF need for a low protein diet? I really don't know what to do.

While there, it was also obvious he needs a dental cleaning too. As my new vet put it, she's on the fence really. It's a risk, especially with his kidneys starting to fail, but moreso because of the diabetes. She's also concerned about not doing the dental for the very same reasons. I am going to do the dental, probably next week, but I am just praying like mad that this doesn't send Cyrano into a relapse.

So any help out there with CRF/diabetic kitties and the conundrums?

Edited: He actually wasn't DXd with CRF, but low-grade renal failure. CRF will be down the line.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If it is renal insufficiency then there is absolutely zero reason to limit protein; make sure it is quality, moderate protein and keep phosphorous levels below 200 on Janet's charts. Keep him hydrated and if things do not improve then look to phosphorous binders.

Also, do a search for the term CRF as there are TONS of good posts on the subject.

Jen

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about Cyrano's renal failure.

I found a little bit of info here: http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/chronic_renal_failure.htm

"Diet
    Up until somewhat recently, the recommended diet was both low in protein and phosphorus. However, there is new evidence suggesting that the amount of protein is of less importance than the "quality" of the protein source. Consequently, there are now two schools of thought, one advocating the traditional low protein CRF foods and the other proposing a higher or moderate protein diet using high quality proteins such as cooked eggs, boiled liver, chicken, turkey, heart, etc. Many vets do not recommend low protein/restricted protein diets for early, mild or moderate disease. Restricted protein can be helpful in very severe CRF because low protein reduces nitrogenous wastes, making it easier for the kidney to do its job of filtering blood. However, both sides concur with one aspect of the CRF diet: it must be low in phosphorus."

Low phosphorus foods for CRF can be found listed at the following pages:
    Canned cat foods

4. Athena and Cyrano

Thank you both so much. I'm going to research the food issue now.

Paige - I'm so happy about Webber being OTJ recently. What great news! (We're former Lantus users too!)

5. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi there. I have a ton of CRF links in my signature here. Spader lived with CRF and FD for over four years after he was dx with both.

In the post, I talk about foods that I used that helped both conditions.

:)

6. Athena and Cyrano

Holly - thank you so much. I am compiling links to all this information to sort through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.