Diabetic Cat low bg not eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amber Strong, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber Strong

Amber Strong New Member

Hello all! I have joined bc recently I started home testing my Panthar. He has been diabetic for about 3years now. As of recent I also have switched him over to a mostly all wet food diet. The last two days his bg has not been over 200. Therefor I have not given him insulin. But since yesterday he has hardly eaten anything. He is still using his litter box and drinking some. He is already super skinny and I am so worried about him. He is walking very slow and not doing much but laying around. He is such a good boy and gives me no trouble testing his ear. I don't know what to do I am upset w my vet bc they put us on w/d food and never mentioned the high protein low carb diet or switching to all wet diet . I have educated myself and since doing testing at home I'm afraid I was giving him to much insulin all along. So I'm kinda skeptical taking him back in just to put more money in their pocket books and not helping my sweet boy. Any help is appreciated. Im sorry my thoughts are not more organized. I'm so worried and need advice. Please and thank you I am so appreciative of your time!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He's still a diabetic even though his BG has been lower recently. You haven't given insulin in a couple of days, he's not eating, is very lethargic. These could be signs of ketones developing. One thing you can do right now is go buy some urine ketone test strips at any human pharmacy and test his urine for ketones. If it shows as "trace" on the test strip call your vet for advice. If it's more than trace the vet needs to see him.

Here are some tips for urine ketone testing:
    • put the end of the test strip right in his urine stream as he's peeing
    • slip a shallow, long handled spoon under his backside to catch a little pee - you don't need much
    • put a double layer of plastic wrap over his favourite part of the litter box and poke some depressions in it too catch pee.
    Most test strips have to be dipped and allowed to develop for 15 seconds before viewing the colour change in very good light.

Other things to do right away:
    1. start testing and recording his blood glucose right before his typical shot time
    2. post here with his BG results and let us know what dose and what insulin you give
    3. try feeding him anything he'll eat - tuna, salmon, sardines, dry kibble, plain meat in broth baby food (no seasonings) - this is critical, even if you have to hand feed or syringe feed a bit of food pureed with water.
    If you get a positive urine ketone test result the earlier he gets vet treatment the better. This can become an emergency situation very quickly.

StephG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.