Diabetic cat now diagnosed with hyperthyroid - questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LaraB, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaraB

LaraB Member

Hi all...I've been absent from the board for quite awhile (busy work schedule. :( ). Joshi is my sugarcat who was diagnosed back in December of 2015. She's on 2.5 units of vetsulin.

We recently brought her in for check-up and shots, and per usual, had her blood panel done to check on her numbers. Much to our surprise, she is now hyperthyroid - she certainly hadn't shown any obvious signs that I've seen. So...we now will be giving her transdermal methimazole (5 mg) twice a day.

My question to those of you who have dealt with both diabetes and hypothyroid at the same time - should there be a certain amount of time between insulin shots and methimazole dose? It it safe to give them close together? Tonight I gave her her thyroid meds around 8:30, fed her, then will be giving her insulin about 9:00. I'm hoping this is okay.

Coincidentally, we brought her sister in for her checkup at the same time. She also had a blood panel done and may be hyperthyroid as well, though her results weren't definitive enough, so we have to wait for further results. Needless to say, it was a pricey visit!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry for the $$$$ you had to shell out today.

I'm bumping up your thread so other s may see it. My cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroid way before he had diabetes and we had radio iodine therapy done. His levels were normal by the time he became diabetic so I wasn't dealing with both at the same time.

i hope you get some good info. :bighug:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No reason to spread out the transdermal and injection. TA possible concern is if both are oral since there can be an interaction in the stomach between some oral drugs if both are given at the the same time. I have had a diabetic cat and used the transdermal for hyperthyroidism.

4. LaraB

LaraB Member

We’re using the transdermal med, so this is good to hear that it shouldn’t be an issue. So far, she seems to be tolerating the methimazole well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.