Diabetic cat on Cerenia needing answers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tugboat, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat New Member

My cat is 14 years old. She has diabetes, which she has to have an injection of .05 which is a very small dose. She has started vomiting, which my vet put her on Cerenia. She has been on Cerenia for the past few months. She mainly eats high protein food, raw food diet, due to an allergy towards fish and chicken. The one protein diet seemed to help but then noticed she became constipated, which I guess is due to the high protein. I tried pumpkin, miralax with no help. The vet started her on Lactulose which is starting to help but still needs time. I took her to my vet today and she has lost another pound. The vet said that he felt that it was time to put her down that she probably has kidney failure. I have seen some discussion on how Cerenia should be used and I was never told about giving a break on Cerenia. Also, to want to put my cat down because assuming that she may have kidney failure is concerning. Am I right to feel this way or am I just being selfish and refusing to put her down. I want to do what is right by my cat. The doctor just told me this at 4:30 today.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Tugboat, welcome. Have you had any recent bloodwork done on your cat to see how her kidneys are functioning?

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Welcome. I am sorry you are here but you sure have found the right place for answers.

Many people on this site use Cerenia so I am sure someone may be able to help. Unfortunately, that isn't me. What I can address is your statement by the vet of "She probably has kidney failure". The only way to prove Kidney Disease is via blood tests. Also, weight loss can be attributed to many conditions such as: kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, old age, unknown reason.

One of my cats has always been petite; she routinely (several times per week) vomits after eating for her entire 16 years. No diagnosis ever found and no treatment ever worked. Weight stable so we just wash sheets often and clean the carpet often.

Anyway back on topic: IMHO, get a second opinion from another Vet, and have basic blood work done to check kidney function and also thyroid function.

BTW: No you are not being selfish. :bighug:

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Tugboat

Tugboat New Member

Thank you so much for the advice. This was my exact thought as well. It completely shocked me that told the symptoms, no testing was done and the next thing my vet said was do you think her quality of life is where it should be, I believe it’s time to do the humane thing. I was stunned. I can’t seem to get my vet past my cats age. My cat did not have any of these symptoms 6 months ago. Yet now he keeps saying she’s old it’s her age, and the cat is going to deteriorate quickly at this age.
    I do understand where my vet is coming from but the no test part bothers me I have always told my vet that money is not an issue when it comes to my pets health. To not test my cat and to just want to put her down is shocking.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Please do get bloodwork done along with an SDMA test to see how her kidneys are functioning. If your vet doesn’t want to do it find one that will.

SpotsMom likes this.
  6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if it could be pancreatitis as well? I think a good senior panel is the first step, scratch that, go to new vet first, get the full senior panel screening for kidney, liver, pancreas and thyroid. She is only 14 she is a senior but she can live for many more years yet.

Sharon14 and SpotsMom like this.
  7. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

The vomiting and weight loss immediately made me think test for pancreatitis! Pancreatitis often goes hand in hand with diabetes. Ask for the SpecFPL test for more accurate results. Cerenia is a good start, and you do not need to take a break from it if your kitty shows she needs it. I also give Spot CBD oil daily to help keep him feeling well. Sometimes it’s not enough.. but since he started taking it, he has more good days than bad and he’s gained back 1.5lbs from his increased appetite!
    The only one who can make the final decision for your cat is you. I’m sure your vet means well but if you are willing to put the work in - and just being here asking questions leads me to believe you are - there is much more that can be done. 14 is NOT old for a cat!
    Spot has diabetes and chronic pancreatitis and has lost weight but he still has a good quality of life. He has bad days sure, but he also has many good ones! He’s been playing like a kitten for the past week. You can’t tell me that’s not worth the effort :cat:

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.