Diabetic cat on insulin not improving, family wants to put him to sleep, but...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Puppy training pads are a good idea. Thank you, JanetNJ!

Thank you, Beth 73!

My mom is currently putting together his towels for the trip:

[​IMG]

Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Bless your dear mom for all her help :bighug: I know you will all be thrilled when you get Ziggy home with you ... and so will all of us :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Prayers upon prayers for safe , uneventful trip and Ziggy to handle it all easily :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I may have missed it in one of the earlier posts, what insulin are you changing to? If it is ProZinc or PZI and you get the U100 syringes from Walmart or any pharmacy, you will need to convert your dose to use these syringes. These are both U40 insulins and normally use a different syringe. You can use the U100 syringes but someone will need to help you with the conversion. If you are using Lantus or Levemir the U100 syringes will work.

4. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

It is , isn't it.
    Makes the heart sing.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Puppy pads. Put a few in the carrier and then you can just pull the top soiled one out and the one underneath will be dry.

Agree with the no leash unless you know how he is on one.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Has anyone mentioned no insulin on the day you transport. You don't want to risk a hypo or vomiting. Smaller meals might be better also.

7. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I haven't figured out which insulin to change to yet, actually, though I do hope to talk to Ziggy's new vet as soon as possible about it. Thank you for the information! When I do figure out which insulin to change to, I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for telling me.

Speaking of meals, I was planning on feeding Ziggy twice a day, once at 8 AM and once at 8 PM (trying for twelve hour intervals, to coincide with his insulin shots — I would feed him sooner than 8 PM, but I don't want to make his insulin shots too close together). He's about seven pounds, so I'm trying to figure out how much food he'll need per feeding session. And am I okay to give him a shot every time he eats his dinner?

I'm sorry if those questions seem a little disorganized. I'm about to head off to bed so I can get up early for tomorrow.

8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly!!!

9. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

DITTO what everyone else has said about leaving the cat in the carrier for the entire trip. Cats do NOT like new and strange things and even the most friendly and laid back cats are prone to freaking out in those circumstances. Even if the cat didn't escape the collar/harness and bolt away (and escaping is is a very strong possibility), I guarantee she wouldn't use the opportunity to relieve herself. Cats are not small dogs...

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I travelled with my Bagha all the way from Pune, India to Lausanne, Switzerland. 27 hours door-to-door. He was a very chill cat and had planned on the harness and leash to let him out, but it was clear when I tried within seconds that indeed, he was not going to pounce on a bathroom break to pee like a dog would. Granted, he wasn't diabetic. But he only peed once during the whole trip, when the plane took off in Mumbai.

Puppy pads and a spare towel or two are all he will need.

Squalliesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Beth 73

Happy Natalie and Ziggy’s Grand Adventure Day :bighug::bighug::bighug: Sending prayers for safe trip and a calm Ziggy , Dear Mom and Natalie :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Olive & Paula

Feeding at each shot time is best. Most cats do better with meals spread out during the day. You will figure out what works for you and Ziggy.

The only thing is not to feed 2 hours before shot, so when you test the number is not food influenced. Otherwise you can feed anytime he wants food. Unregulated cat is literally starving because they can not metabolize food properly. My Smokey was fed every 3 hrs around the clock for various reasons. Now Olive is anywhere between 2-4 hrs. When she is running high she is super hungry. Lately she has been somewhat controlled and is eating 4-5 hrs apart.

My non diabetics eat about every 4 hrs. I'll put a 1/2 can for each down, sometimes they finish it sometimes they leave some but then want to eat in a few hours.

Safe travels, let us know how it goes and when you are home.

13. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I somehow must have un-watched this thread. I'm not caught up but I see we're moving to a happier ending. So happy for both of you.

14. Erin720

Erin720 Member

Ok thank you @JanetNJ

15. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Hi, everyone. Ziggy made it to his new home!

But he had an accident in his carrying case, and now his back legs and tail are covered in dry poop. I’ve been trying to clean him up but it’s hard to get off. :(

16. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Glad he's with you! Poop is the one thing that has had me put cats in the shower (warm water, not much pressure, keep to what is dirty). Another (icky) option is a soaking wet towel (warm too) to wipe it off. Or... brush it? (uck). He'll get clean at some point, though. Look forward to news of your life together!

17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah for Ziggy being home!!

Sounds like it's time for a butt bath....sink with warm water and put the "dirty" half of the cat in...rub a dub dub!!

18. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I gave the bath a try, but he really didn’t want to cooperate! Got his feet a little wet, though. Trying to clean him with a towel, but it’s really stuck in there. Half an hour and it’s already a giant mess!

I’m so glad I have him here, though :)

So my parents fed Ziggy this morning (and gave him insulin, even though I think he wasn’t supposed to have any on a travel day). Should I give him a shot while he eats this evening? Or should I wait until tomorrow morning?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  19. Olive & Paula

Glad you made it home safely. Ziggy might not like the sound of running water. My husband uses a pitcher to pour water constantly while I use comb. I have read the some people actually get in shower holding their cat because cat didn't like standing in water but was okay as long as they were held.

20. Chris & China (GA)

If it's been 12 hours since the morning shot and his blood glucose is high enough to safely shoot, I'd go ahead.....but I'd take into consideration that his BG might be elevated due to stress....so unless he's over 200, I'd probably skip it....and even if he is, I'd probably give a light dose tonight while you're both settling into the new routine

21. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Okay. I haven't done his first blood test yet, and he's telling me he's more than ready for dinner right now. Should I go ahead and break the ice with his first reading? Might be a silly question but I do want to make 100% sure!

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  22. Chris & China (GA)

There's no such thing as a silly question here!!

Might as well jump right in! The sooner you get it over with, the sooner you will have that "first test" over with! (the first one is always the most nerve-wracking)

It's also not safe to give insulin without knowing his BG level first.

23. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

So happy for both of you!!:kiss::kiss:

24. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Okay, thank you! I'll give it a shot (pun intended) right now, and I'll update with his reading.

25. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Ooh, this isn't easy. I can get Ziggy calm and cooperative with me on the couch, but I can't quite nail down getting any blood to form.

26. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yay! So glad Ziggy is now home with you! The poop is a minor obstacle compared to what you and Ziggy have achieved! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

The poop matter is mostly solved now! He just stinks a little.

Almost got a blood sample, but my roommate walked in and now Ziggy is hiding. At this rate he'll be eating at midnight!

28. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I got the blood sample!!

The meter says 438 mg/dL (with 4.28 underneath). Does that sound like an actual number this would read, or does that sound like an error?

JanetNJ and Squalliesmom like this.
  29. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm just catching up and so glad you will have Ziggy with you soon. BTW, I used the Relion Micro and bought many strips on eBay on auction. Much cheaper than the vet meter and strips. Can't wait to see how the trip worked/.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Natalie and Ziggy likes this.
  30. Olive & Paula

Thats an actual number. The 4.28 underneath is the date.

31. Chris & China (GA)

That sounds like a valid reading....We see cats over 600 here sometimes. I'd give his insulin (if you can shoot again in 12 hours)

What we're aiming for is to keep their BG between 50-120 on a human meter, so if he's been running in the 400's, he's definitely nowhere near regulated and that's why he's peeing everywhere

It's possible it's a little higher due to stress, but it's definitely a number I'd shoot if it's a good time for you and you're able to shoot again in about 12 hours.

You can change shot times by 15 minutes per cycle or 30 minutes per day until you get on a time schedule you want

32. Beth 73

Great accomplishment, Natalie and Ziggy :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:. So relieved and thrilled to hear you are both home safe and sound :):):):):) Be kind and patient with yourself and Ziggy especially here at first :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:It will all soon fall into place :)

33. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Okay, thank you for the explanation. It's good to be able to see his actual numbers for myself, so I can get a sense of where he's really at with his levels. Hopefully Ziggy and I will be pros at this soon (especially since I'll have to do this every morning before work :eek:) but I am going to be 100% patient in the meantime, just like he's been.

I gave him his shot, which was my first attempt at doing so myself. It went well and he didn't seem to notice. He even came running into the kitchen once I took out the syringe, because he knew it was feeding time. He didn't eat a whole lot of his food, though, which kind of worries me a little. He's still loves his treats, though, and I'm making sure to give him ones like you've all recommended in this thread.

34. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

You're a good'un and a natural @Natalie and Ziggy . You'll have him improving in no time at all.

Welcome to the cat poo bum club. :bighug:

35. Chris & China (GA)

OK....now that Ziggy is safe with you and you're ready to really do this, let's get you to start keeping track of his numbers on our spreadsheet and get your signature done.

For the signature, go to the top right and click on your sign on name....there's a drop-down menu with the option "Signature"....click there. A new box will open up for you to enter information. We like to have:

Your name/cat's name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, kind of food you're feeding, any other health problems? and a general location.

Once you have your spreadsheet set up, the link to it will go into your signature too. That way we don't have to keep asking the same questions and we'll be able to see how Ziggy is responding when you need advice in the future.

Here are Instructions on setting up the FDMB spreadsheet.....if you have any trouble, feel free to send me a private message and I can set it up for you. To send a PM just click on my name and choose "Start Conversation"

Welcome to the Vampire Club!!
    vampire smiley .jpg

36. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You are doing so well, Natalie. Ziggy is very fortunate to have you for a pet parent. One step at a time, and you are accomplishing so much. Hugs to you and Ziggy.

37. Chris & China (GA)

Your signature is really helpful.....I already mentioned the food issue in private messages, but you also mention that his teeth are in bad shape.

Dental problems can cause the BG to be higher too. We've seen a lot of cats that went into remission after their teeth were cleaned up.

The sooner you can get his teeth in good shape, the better his overall health will be, as well as getting his diabetes under control. Dental disease effects more than just their mouths.

Now for the bad news....a good dental requires anesthesia, pre and post dental x-rays, IV fluids (among other things) so it's not a cheap procedure....and a "cheap" dental isn't worth the money anyway. Be thinking along the lines of $500 to $1000 depending on the vet, how bad his teeth are and your location....and it can go even higher!

It doesn't have to be done tomorrow, but it's something you should definitely have on your radar for the future

38. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I just want to say that you are amazing & welcome! Take it all in & be easy on yourself, it’s a marathon- not a sprint! As everyone here has said many times... Bless you darlin!

Natalie and Ziggy and Beth 73 like this.
  39. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Dental work has definitely been on the radar for a while, and the hardest part is definitely the cost. I'll have to get Ziggy set up with his new vet down in this area so we can start talking about it. It's helpful to know that his teeth could be contributing to his high blood sugar.

Woke up a bit late today and gave Ziggy his shot about 14 hours after his last one. I couldn't get him to stay still for his blood test, but eventually I hit his vein and got more than enough for the sample (I immediately stanched the bleeding, so he's fine now). 349 this morning! Gave him his shot and he ate all of his food. I'll probably feed him a little more later this afternoon, and I can give him another blood test and shot when the 12-hour mark arrives.

His litter box behavior has been very good so far. No diarrhea and he's covering everything. He's still tracking some litter here and there, since he still has some cement paws left over, but he's doing his best to clean his paws himself and doing a good job. I'm trying to help as best I can, too. The hardest part is finding all the little litter bits he leaves in his wake.

My roommates are super-friendly and accommodating to Ziggy, but he just immediately darts under my bed when they show up. It'll take a while before he's used to them.

40. Chris & China (GA)

Great news that he's using his litterbox....Hopefully he will continue so you don't have that to worry about!

It's wonderful to hear that your roommates are being very good to Ziggy too. Having any kind of extra support is so nice! I'm sure Ziggy will warm up to them in time.

It's probably going to be a good idea for you to start a new thread the next time you post. This one is getting pretty long and goes from tragedy (parents are euthanizing) to triumph (back home with you) and everywhere in between!

In your new thread you can put the link to this one so if someone wants to go back and read the history, they can easily do it.

Welcome to the sugardance!!

41. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I’m a newbie too and trust me this forum has saved my Gretchen’s life. I’ve been following this and so happy to see it all came around!!

At first I hit the vein every time. I’ve been aiming where there kind of an “envelope” at the base of ear. Don’t know if that’s correct but it’s worked for me, if I do above it vein. Every time. I’ll try to get a pic and add it on my Daisy...non diabetic, but he’s on my lap right now. And as soon as I typed that he turned his head upside down ha ha! (Yes he’s a boy named Daisy lol)

Gretchen was getting cement paws BAD. I would just hold her butt end in the sink and shampoo it out. I switched to Clump and Seal Lightweight and that problem went away but I want to try the wood stuff that starts with an O..this stuff tracks bad.

Again I’m so warmed to see you saved your Ziggys life!

28C357FF-73DC-4E32-A71A-83F81DAB76DD.jpeg

42. PamJV

PamJV Member

I tried the Relion meter but later found out it was giving very inaccurate readings. I thought my cat was better than he was because of this meter. It was giving readings that were about 100 points lower than my vet's machine. The Alpha TrakII was more accurate.

43. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

We know that a human meter reads lower than a pet meter like the AlphaTrak and we understand human meter numbers. The difference if greater at high BGs and less at low BGs. The important numbers to remember are the "take action" numbers (BG is getting too low): 50 on a human meter and 68 on a pet meter.

44. PamJV

PamJV Member

If there is a translation guide that would tell you if you get a 200 it's really a 300 then that would be OK. But I was using the Relion thinking Ricky was getting good numbers when he wasn't. No one told me it could be off by that much. In fact according to my vet even the AlphaTrakII reads lower than it should.

45. tiffmaxee

I did very well with the Relion Micro. When tested at my vet’s office he might have been higher but he was within normal limits for the lab and never had glucose in his urine.

46. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Hi, everyone. Now that Ziggy has been successfully relocated, I am starting a new thread about his ongoing treatment.

You can find the thread here!

47. BirdiesMom

BirdiesMom New Member

my vet showed me how to do blood sample with just a needle scratch instead of the lancets; it was very easy--barely have to scratch ear. Might be a little cheaper than lancets. Not sure how the petsure strips compare in price to others. If you are going to use this site a lot, a human meter might be better as long as your vet agrees to co-ordinate as many on this site use human meter. I am using alphatrac 2, got "intro kit" from chewy for $63. Included 30 lancets and 25 strips. Look for intro kits with strips, etc. might make it easier to get started. There is no doubt the in-home testing is good. I have had mine in to vet for checking numerous times and never got a reading low enough, but got one low enough at home today that we are decreasing insulin as a trial tonight.

48. tiffmaxee

This is a very old thread. She started a new one and moved to an apartment. Last posted in May. @Evie Corso

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.