Diabetic Cat Peeing on the bed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stephanie Howard, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie Howard

Stephanie Howard Member

My cat JJ is 11 years old and has been diabetic a little over a year now. Over the last month he has peed on the bed a few times and even the couch. He has never done this before. I have added another little box downstairs just in case he is having a hard time going up the stairs to use the other one. Both were clean last night and he was running around playing but woke up this morning around 1am and he had peed right by my feet.
    I know he is getting older and things in his body might be changing but looking for advice.

thank you,

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Has he been checked recently for a urinary tract infection? How are his glucose numbers lately? Any big changes or stresses for him in the home?

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hiya Stephanie! Generally I take peeing outside the box as a sign that my cat is telling me something. In my own experience, Lou will do it if his litter box needs to be cleaned. If JJ's box was clean, I'm guessing he's telling you something else. It's possible that he may have a UTI. I had to take Lou to the ER this weekend because he stopped eating. The vet said the two most common issues diabetics have are UTIs and pancreatitis, so he tested for both, even though I thought a UTI was a long-shot without any obvious symptoms. He did have a UTI, and the doctor said the excess sugar (his numbers have spiked in the last 2 weeks or so) could have helped that along. It would definitely be worth checking on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.