Diabetic cat pooping outside of litter box

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maeweather165, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maeweather165

maeweather165 New Member

About a three weeks ago our cat Cecelia was diagnosed as diabetic. It's been overwhelming and big adjustment but we are doing our best and we love our kitty so we will make it work!

My concern - she is occasionally pooping outside of her litter box. She always goes in the same spot downstairs near the front door. Tonight it was diarrhea - I'm not sure if she just couldn't make it upstairs to the litter box or there is some other reason.

Has anyone else experienced their diabetic cats going to the bathroom outside their litter box?

I'm going to call the vet in the morning but thought I'd also seek the advice of experienced pet owners.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mae Silver

2. Cattriona

Cattriona New Member

Hi Mae--

Have you made any litterbox changes lately? Different litter? Scent? Added or removed a hood? New location? Switched from AC to heat for the season? anything? Sometimes little changes are enough to make fussy box users go elsewhere. Try unchanging whatever you've changed recently and see if it helps (if you've switched from A/C to heat, check for drafts)

That said, our dearly departed diabetic cat, Sam, often used urinating outside the litter box to let us know his sugar was out of control. He'd pee on the floor, we'd test him and, sure enough, his sugar would be too high. So, even if you find an aesthetic problem with the litterbox, you might check Cecelia's sugar when she poops outside the box too, just to see if there's a relationship.

If the problem persists, do check with your vet, in case there's something else going on. Good luck!

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually its peeing thats related to the diabetes.. did it start with the diagnosis? Did you or your vet change her food at diagnosis? Changes in food can cause upset like diarrhea. so can addition of meds, antibiotics for urinary tract infection.. many newly diagnosed diabetics have urinary tract infections.

has anything disruptive happened in your home? Visitors, stay over relatives? I ask because doorways and windows are frequently targeted when a cat is feeling insecure about arrivals or departures, or when they smell/ see other cats at windows. They want "interlopers" to know that its their house, so the first thing a visitor sees is the poop marking that "THIS IS MY HOUSE"

If it coincided with the diabetes the above might not be the case.

Remember that you must use an enzyme cleaner on the spot. When a cat is repeatedly going to the same spot it may not have been cleaned thoroughly. No diss to you here, cats can smell pee and poo when you cant, and an enzyme cleaner breaks down the organic material. All enzyme cleaners are not created equal tho. I like Anti Icky Poo..

If someone is home often, try to note when its happening and whats going on in the house at the time. Is it happening randomly? Happening right when someone is due home, or leaving home?

Sending cyber hugs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.