Diabetic cat won’t eat.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taylor Wade, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor Wade

Taylor Wade New Member

hello,
    I have a friend who suggested I join this group as she has found everyone very helpful with her diabetic baby. I have a cat named pumpkin who has been diabetic for 2 years. He was in remission and not having to receive insulin for the last 3 months. He took a turn on wednesday. He stopped eating and drinking water. I took him to the Vet where he stayed for 3 days. They ran blood work and didn’t see any issues. I picked him up today but they had a hard time getting him to eat last night and this morning. They had to syringe feed him food. They gave him fluids so he has been hydrated. They sent him home today in hopes that maybe in his own house he would be more willing to eat. His glucose was 600 this morning and they gave him insulin.
    Any help with him not eating would be so greatly appreciate. He is laying around like a bump on a log when heliterally was full of life and running around 3 days ago.
    Thanks!!!!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Here are some ideas
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/suggestions-on-how-to-stimulate-kittys-appetite.130770/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-liver-shake-for-sick-cats.30432/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-assisted-feeding-video-and-tips.144367/

I would also see if you can get some more fluids from the vet so you can continue to give them over the weekend. If you have a copy of the bloodwork, you can post it here and maybe someone will see something the vet missed.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I have very little experience as my cat quickly went into remission and only gave him insulin for a couple of weeks but I will say if your cat's BG is that high he just feels terrible and that's why he won't eat. The key is to get his BG down so he feels better. The best way will be for you test him at home, you will need to use a good insulin like Lantus, and make sure your kitty is only eating wet food low in carbs like Fancy Feast or Friskies pate style foods. You can entice him with tuna, sardines, or parmesan cheese. I hope someone with more experience will chime in soon and keep reading and learning, you're in the right place.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Taylor Wade

Taylor Wade New Member

Thank you! I will give these all a try.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Taylor Wade

Taylor Wade New Member

Thank you!!

6. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I hope one of those suggestions help.
    Can you post back here to let us know what worked for Pumpkin?

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

He may be nauseated. Cats won’t eat much when nauseated. If he sniffs at the food and walks away he is probably nauseated. Did they give you some cerenia or ondansetron tablets for nausea.

Sharon14 likes this.
  8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Bron - maybe he has pancreatitis. I would ask the vet for cerenia and ondansetron plus an appetite stimulant if necessary. Does he seem to be in pain? Or meatloafing (as shown here)?

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. Taylor Wade

Taylor Wade New Member

Hello everyone. Thank you all for your help. I ended up taking Pumpkin to another vet. It is an emergency vet. They are keeping him. He is still dehydrated. They were going to give him nausea medication along with fluids. Turns out he has an infection. They were going to do more blood test and check his glucose every 2 hours. He will receive antibiotics.
    I think my vet missed a lot.

Thank you all again. You have been very helpful.

Bron and Sheba (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  10. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I am glad your kitty is getting some help, hope all goes well!

If you feel this is no longer an emergency, you can remove the "911" tag from your thread title. You can always put it back again if he comes home and it's an emergency again

11. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad you found a vet that can help. Please keep us posted!

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m glad you have found a vet who can help. Please keep us updated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.