"Diabetic" foster cat limited info

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Connie & Em(GA), Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connie & Em(GA)

Connie & Em(GA) Member

What I do know..
    12 years old. named "Little Cat" (that is so going to change)
    Turned into shelter 6 weeks ago because the owners 'could not afford'
    was on the adoption floor.
    started drinking more, bad stool. went to vet, high blood sugar, so of course diabetes is diagnosed.. (food was dry and high carb canned)

get her to the house, she is wasting away.. fur and bones.. has that old cat feel to her. She is very hungry, eats very well. (low carb canned) First stool I got from her was very nice, second was iffy..

get phone call from shelter, 'oh yeah, she's weaning off pred, she'll need a dose in two days (which works out to Sunday)' I'm wondering why she is on pred, they say 'unknown infection' I'm going to the shelter today to hopefully get more information..
    cat(2)_steam
    probably needs to be said I won't be giving her insulin until the pred has worked it's way out, but if I give her pred on Sunday, when do you think that will be?

her sugars were 'in the 400s' according to them. My reading this morning (12 hours after entering the house) was 308.

2. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Oh goodness Connie!

I am so glad this kitty found you! It sounds like you know what you are doing and have even tested her yourself.

I don't blame you for being so fumed with the shelter. Hang in there you are already a huge improvement for this kitty!

Your kindness shows. :D

Linda

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Despite the pred, you may want to use some insulin because she can't use her food effectively. The elevated glucose may do some damage to her organs if untreated, even if transient.

And if the kitty continues to need pred, you'll likely have to shoot around the pred effects. I would suggest ProZinc or PZI because of that, as it is easier to adjust the dose around the pred effects.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Do get a copy of bloodwork to see if they did a T4 test.. she could have concurrent hyperT as well.
    Thanks for helping her!

5. Connie & Em(GA)

Connie & Em(GA) Member

There is no way they tested her T4 levels.. wouldn't that be nice if they did.. if things keep up they might..

More info.. she has been at the shelter for about 6 weeks.. she got a dental a few weeks ago and since then has been vomiting and having 'gelatinous' stools.. hence the pred..

I weaned her off the pred.
    the first day I didn't bother to test her since they wanted her on 'low carb' food (of course they suggest DM.. I chose better options) for a couple of days before starting insulin.

She was 300 for two days then went up to 400, which is when I gave her 1 unit PZI (which is a year past date). Her +6 hour reading was 300 but her +12 hour was 107.

Her +14 was 110 so no insulin last night, but this morning was was 233.. I debated about not giving any, but I ended up giving her a drop.. her +6 was 139. so I'm guessing she won't get any tonight either.. but we'll see what number she give me.. and I'll probably hold off if it remains under 300..

I was guessing it was an infection or some other illness since she just had the dental and then started having issues... but where she was staying so high for so long (including the days before I got her) I thought it might be a good idea to give her a 'jump start' with a wee little bit..

I was able to get her weight up a little.. I'm giving her collodial silver for any possible infection as well as some digestive enzymes, some probiotics and some zeolite for detoxification.. her stools were good when she got here, got bad for a day then improved dramatically.. so fingers crossed that her numbers continue to improve and we are able to get some weight back on her (she feels like she lost a lot very quickly - she also has that odd coating on her fur so when you pat her your hands come away grubby that you find on sick kitties sometimes)

She's really sweet and while she isn't a fan of being tested, she lets me.. and she let me rub her belly today which was nice. she's let me groom her and trim her nails.. not bad for only having known her for a couple of days :)

http://pic.kittyblog.net/20142littlecat.jpg

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Awwwww!

Have you come up with a new name for "Little Kitty"? She hasn't been with you for long, so she might not have told you her true name yet.

Sounds like she is starting to settle in at your house.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

How about
    Little Kitty -> LK - Elke

8. Connie & Em(GA)

Connie & Em(GA) Member

Sadly, "Little Cat" is her given name.. it was what her previous owners called her. I've been trying Gigi out on her.. I do like Elke though, I'll see what she thinks of it.

Her PM reading was 213 so I decided to not give insulin again and see what happens.. I am not ruling out thyroid issues, but it would be a really odd coincidence.. but again we can only take this one day at a time and see what comes of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.