Diabetic Kitty and New Baby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KhoshgelKhanoumOwner, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhoshgelKhanoumOwner

KhoshgelKhanoumOwner New Member

Hello!

Our beautiful cat who has been with our family through thick and thin was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She initially lost a ton of weight despite having a voracious appetite and always wanting to eat. We are trying our best to regulate her diabetes as best we can. She's an older kitty around 10 years old. Our problem is, she's peeing (and occasionally pooping) in one specific area of our apartment, though I suspect she's peeing in other places too. Our living room smells of cat pee. I have a four-month baby who will be crawling shortly and I would hate for him to crawl in cat pee or worse, picking up cat feces and putting it in his mouth. Any tips on correcting this behavior and getting rid of the odor so she doesn't repeatedly pee in the same areas? I know UTIs are common with diabetes, but any other ideas would be very helpful!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB and know that we will do whatever we can to help you on this journey. Idjit piddled around the house before and after his dx too, and I sure didn't like it any better than you do.
    We would be happy to help you work on getting kitty regulated so that these pee issues resolve. We have found that getting the cat regulated usually solves the "out of the litter box" bad habits. If she's not regulated, she doesn't feel very well at all, and this may be her way of asking for help. Or there is the possibility of a UTI.

If you would care to share some information about kitty by creating a signature that displays with each of your posts, and tell us if you are home testing to see how the insulin treatment is affecting her, we can definitely offer some input and suggestions for next steps.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

I went to the local PetCo and purchased a black light/flashlight and Nature's Miracle Enzyme Urine Destroyer. I was able to locate the pee spots with the black light, treat them and at least the cat pee smell was alleviated. I understand you not wanting baby bean (human) crawling around in those circumstances.

If you take a look in the Main Health forum there is currently a thread by a member with a kitty that is having similar issues:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...lash-urinates-everywhere.212125/#post-2360726

You can start a new thread there in the Main Health forum, with your concerns about the pee problem and get more responses there. This forum is only the welcome mat, just to get started out. If you like, you can just copy your message here, and paste it into the message window in your new thread there.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Best cleaner I ever found is on amazon. Anti Icky Poo Unscented. Buy it. Ha. As long as there's a smell chances are good she will continue to go there. Once your cat is in better numbers the behavior often stops. Can you put another box in the spot she goes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.